Chrony and .223

Danielgelinas

Beginner
Mar 7, 2017
Hi guys,

I have chrony model F-1.

For some reason I am having problems getting readings (no readings) for my .223 reloads.

No problems for my other calibers (.270 win, 300 win mag).

Is it too fast or small to register?

Am I the only one having this problem?

Thanks!

Dan

Sounds as if you are not getting a good shadow across the lenses. If the Chrony is set up in bright light, it needs the diffusers installed to ensure a good reading. If the day is overcast, you will sometimes not get a reading because there is not enough light. The bullet from your 223 is neither too small nor too fast to read. I've read velocities in excess of 4000 fps and measured velocities from .204 bullets. A call to the Chrony hot line will likely resolve your problem quickly. On the other hand, ensure that you have sufficient diffused light and the system should work well.

I had the same problem Monday, oddly enough it was with .223. But I suspect that is just coincidence. My 280 read just fine but when I finished up with it and went to the 223, I started getting no readings...Between shooting the 280 and the 223, the position of the sun in the sky moved lower putting too much light on the sensor. Even with the sunshade on the sunlight was coming in low and hitting before the shade..I found a piece of cardboard someone used as a target backer and put it on top on the front sun shade to extend it a little and attached it with clothes pins. The chrono started reading again fine.

I have found that if it is very sunny out and the sun is at enough of an angle, it can shine under the sun shades, thus defeating the purpose of the shades.

Also having the chrono too close can cause issues.

Thanks Guys,

I'll play around with it. I'm sure it has to do with the lighting.
Thanks for the insight!

Dan

Had the same problem before I got a Magnetospeed. Use a black magic marker on the bullet that should help.

Back