Chrony....

Bluejay

Beginner
Apr 6, 2006
Hello Gents,
I was thinking of buying a chronograph to get velocity data from my loads.
What do you guys think about the "CHRONY" brand.
In particular, I had my eyes either on the F-1 or ALPHA models.
Any feedback?

I need no printer, nor other fancy stuff.

Just going very slowly, shot after shot.... :wink:

Thank you in advance for your replies.
:grin:

I have one. Its kinda tricky at first, but once you learn its limits, it does what I ask of it.

First, it doesn't do to good as it gets closer to dark. For some reason, I cant get good reading a couple hours before dark. ????

Second, I believe sometimes it gives false MV readings, and in my case, its always showing me a faster MV then what my trajectory is showing.

I set mine out at least 10" so as to help with muzzle blast. It says in the manual that muzzle blast will effect the accuracy of the reading.

Anyways, mine does pretty much what I want and thats just to tell me how fast my bullets are going. Thats all I care about. I'd like to run my rifles over some other peoples crony's, but I dont know anyone around my area to compare.

They area good tool for working up loads though. Invaluble IMO.

I really like mine, too, and I have the Beta model. I won it in a contest, or I would have the F1. I use a spreadsheet in Excel for all my data analysis. In fact, I keep a notebook at the range, and write down each reading as I go, thus I don't have to keep in mind when to change to the next string, etc., which can be a bit cumbersome. I, too, have the issues with late afternoon, and I believe it has to do with the angle of light into the sensors. One solution is an add-on light fixture, which would have to run off batteries. Or, another friend online suggested mounting it upside down on a sawhorse, and placing a piece of white paper underneath it (large piece) to get proper reflection. I just find that shooting when it is bright works best, if chrono readings are absolutely necessary.

I have a PACT Professional, as well, and the Chrony has become my go-to, because I can carry it to the range so much easier. I like some of the features of the PACT, but I am having sensor problems right now with it, and may have to warranty it soon enough. The Chrony works great in the meantime. Overall, where chronographs are concerned, KISS is the order of the day.

I have experience only with the CED Millenium, but I love it. The cost is reasonable, and if shooting in crappy light conditions frustrates you, you can get an IR lighting option that lets you shoot in pitch darkness. (It's also claimed to be more accurate than other chronographs, though the difference is so small as to be irrelevant.)

I had the Oehler 35p. Worked great all the time. Sold it and now own the Chrony Beta , also works great.

The Chrony series work very well. Be sure to get one of the "Master" versions with the remote display/controls. This feature is worth 1000X the added cost.

The Master Alpha is a very good value.

Ed

edh":2ovydp8w said:
The Chrony series work very well. Be sure to get one of the "Master" versions with the remote display/controls. This feature is worth 1000X the added cost.

The Master Alpha is a very good value.

Ed

Absolutely!!!

Ditto what has been said about the "Master" series. I should correct my earlier post and say I have the Beta Master, and would not have the thing without the remote display.

Bluejay,

Take a look at the CED Millenium, very nice unit. I was going to buy one but ended up with a Oehler 35. Thanks Pop. :grin:

JD338

I used to own Beta Chrony and sold it in favor of Pact Professional. So far it works for me and never gave me any problem.

I have had 2 different Competition Electronics Pro Digital chronographs and have been quite pleased with them. My only complaint is that the optional remote control is a little pricey. Check them out:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=852429
They do offer a lot for the $. Up to ten strings of shots, full statistical data, review each shot, high, low, average, extreme spread, standard deviation. They are really nice for the price.

Back