Cleaning packing oil off a rifle

Greg Nolan

Handloader
Nov 25, 2004
When my new 416 Wby got to the FFL Licensee it was covered in some kind of preservative. A real sticky oil or grease in a plastic sleeve. I don't have the gun home yet but I'm going to have to get it off without ruining the stock. Has anyone run into this or did I buy a millenium rifle that they were going to bury in a capsule for 1000 years for posterity?
Hellllllp!

Greg,

Congratulations on the 416 Wby.

I would remove the barreled action from the stock an wipe it down with mineral spirits. If this doesn't work, try some Rem Action Cleaner.
Once clean, oil her down and put back into the stock..

JD338

Not that I'm recommending this or anything...

When I bought an SKS a bunch of years ago, it was covered in cosmoline. I used Jim Beam bourbon to get it off. Might not have worked as well, but it sure smelled better than mineral spirits.

BK":qho663pa said:

When I bought an SKS a bunch of years ago, it was covered in cosmoline. I used Jim Beam bourbon to get it off. Might not have worked as well, but it sure smelled better than mineral spirits.

I like the way you roll. :mrgreen: Any standard solvent ought to work. May take a few runs , but always use a nice oil to finish the process.

BK":l8oez0cn said:

I'll drink to that! :mrgreen:

JD338

Wow now that is a method I haven't heard of yet! I wonder if Jamesons will work. Then I can tell the wife it is a dual purpose beverage. Scotty

here you go!

http://www.cabelas.com/solvents-lubes-b ... er-1.shtml

and congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now you need this
DSCN00071.JPG

and these

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=329651

2011-03-18163349-3.jpg

L to R

6mm 80 TTSX
257 100 TTSX
6,5mm 120 TTSX
308 180 TTSX
416 350 TTSX

SV101178.jpg

330 GS custom at 3100 fps and 300 gr Tsx at 3150 fps

I save the good bourbon for drinking! Cheap bourbon is for mixing and cleaning cosmoline! Just kidding, but I do have a ton of bourbon, so it's not like I was going to have to go without.

Bourbon is for sipping.

Carburetor or brake spray cleaner is for cutting cosmo-grease off the metal of guns. Don't get it on the wood or it will take the finish off of it. GO OUT SIDE TO DO IT. Just spray the metal down and it melts the cosmo and it runs right off. I have cleaned many old military rifles with it.

Be careful with brake cleaner as it can oxidize the finish and make gloss into matte. I had to steel wool a set of rings once to get them back to satin. I'm sure it depends on the cleaner and the finish, but I'd just try something like Hoppes #9 or some other mild grease cutter. For that matter, warm soapy water in te tub might be a good first cut. Obviously, sans stock! I've cleaned the barrel on a 50cal muzzle loader that way for years.

The 10 day waiting period is almost up. I'll have it this week. I have the brass, dies,bullets and scope waiting at home for it's arrival. :wink:

Greg Nolan":35zabtge said:
The 10 day waiting period is almost up. I'll have it this week. I have the brass, dies,bullets and scope waiting at home for it's arrival. :wink:

Greg,

Post some pictures once you get her home and put together.

JD338

Back