Coated bullets

boomer68

Handloader
Oct 23, 2006
Is anyone using coated bullets? I have some moly and currently use tungsten disulphide (aka Danzac) in my 17 Rem. Have you noticed less cleaning required/lower pressures/accuracy improvement etc. Any opinions good or bad? I am thinking of trying either in my 204 Ruger.

I personally have not used coated bullets because I have read many negative reports of what they do to barrels. I have read that the coatings really foul a barrel making it very difficult to clean them. On the other hand I have read where coated (moly) bullets are all that benchrest shooters use. Maybe someone with experience using them can be of more help to you.

Happy Shooting
Ryan46

I've heard pretty much the same stories as Ryan46. One of my
co-workers is a BR shooter and will not have a moly bullet go down
any of his barrels.

A friend of mine has shot nothing but moly bullets in his .22-250. It is
still fairly accurate, but the bullets now do not engage the rifling until
well out of the case neck. This, only after 1500 rounds through the
barrel. He's kept bullet speeds 3600fps or less, and does not shoot out
of a hot barrel.

There is a type of moly treatment for a barrel which is totally unlike
moly coated bullets, and I would use it before ever considering the moly
coated bullets.

As far as the coating on the Combined Technology bullets, I have never
heard yea or nay results, as far as what they do to/for a rifle barrel.

I've shot (and still shoot from a dwindling supply) a considerable number of both the Winchester and Combined Technology Fail Safe bullets. I've never observed any degradation of accuracy from the bullets. These are not, however, moly coated. Rather, this is a proprietary coating. I can't say that they aid in accuracy, but it does not appear to degrade accuracy.

I've shot thousands and thousands of moly coated bullets from my high volume rifles. I coated every single bullet using industrial quality moly supplied with the NECO moly coating kit. I tumble a light coat of wax over the moly, as suggested by NECO.

I have never had any problems with moly coated bullets in any of my rifles. Most of my guns wear custom barrels. They shoot great and clean easily. The stories about "moly build up" in a barrel couldn't be confirmed in my barrels. It may have started with the guys who believed that you could shoot an unlimited number of moly coated bullets without cleaning. I clean my bores regularly.

I still prefer moly bullets for certain applications even though it isn't as popular as it was a few years ago.

Charlie-NY : What process do you use for cleaning barrels that you shoot moly through? What bore solvent and do you apply any kind of oil after cleaning?

Thanks

Boomer, in general a barrel should be designed at either a Moly, or a non-moly barrel. According to most sources, the problems arise when people try to switch back and forth between moly and uncoated bullets in the same barrel. I've played with it, and was not impressed. If I ever try it again, it will be like charlie suggests....every bullets, in a new, custom, hand lapped barrel.

As for CT bullets, they are not a moly product, I've had very good luck with them.

I was shooting the HBR matches and Berger was pushing moly back then and was something to try. I bought the Neco kit and I have to say that Moly can travel so I tumbled outside. Back then big thing was less cleaning for the Br rifles and their was all kind of claims.

I don't mind cleaning a rifle figure thats part of shooting so is replacing a barrel. When I make a change it has to be for accuracy and I never saw it with moly in those match rifles.

My time using moly was early 90 and they change it alot I notice now they have Sieves and I think that slows down those steel balls hiting the jackets. Plus back then no company were selling coating bullets so I just quit using it.

Back