HBN Coating Bullets

Here’s a video that explains it much better than I can.

https://youtu.be/5DsYhPLSUD8

I’ve gotten the same results from buying Hexagonal Boron Nitride itself. You don’t have to buy the kit for it to work. It also saves a little money when you simply buy the HBN.

Just a little fact about HBN. Speer coats their Gold Dot rifle bullets with HBN. The lead core is plated with copper, it’s not swaged into the jacket, which is why there are no separations of the jacket from the core with this bullet. The plating that makes up the jacket is pure copper. They coat them with HBN because the copper jacket fouled the bore in tests and produced too much friction which raise pressures when loading Gold Dot’s. HBN made them slicker, lowered pressures, and all but eliminated the copper fouling.

Federal Fusion bullets, made by Speer, are plated the same way. The difference is that the Fusion does not have the HBN coating. So they foul more and pressure can increase more quickly when working up Fusion loads.

Speer ballistic engineer tools me the same thing. There’s something impressive about a 75 gr Gold Dot coming out of a fast twist .22-250.

hunt127588":22ravnjo said:
Speer ballistic engineer tools me the same thing. There’s something impressive about a 75 gr Gold Dot coming out of a fast twist .22-250.
I use 150gr Gold Dots for deer out of my 308’s. MV of 2980 and they retain 70% or better of their weight. They expand quick, retain weight, and scary accurate from a 308 Win.

I Love resurrecting zombie threads :) Any new updates on your hBN experiences Joe?

I just finished my firs bolt gun build and was looking to pick up and ounce or two, to coat barrels and bullets.
Funny thing is I've known about the Fusions vs. Gold dots for a few years now.. I also just happened to have picked up 1k 150gr Fusion .308's from American Reloading for only $160 :) I love the 168gr GD's, and have wanted the 150gr ones in either of the two types (they make a 300BLK and Regular).. However they are beyond unicorn right now, I haven't seen ANY for almost 3 years now! Also Speers .308 GD's (and Federal Fusions) measure .309/.3095".. I assume it's also because they're plated and not jacketed, so they wanted a little more for the rifling to bite. The 168's are slick little buggers and shoot amazing, hence my serious interest in using hBN.

Thank you for all of your posts on the matter thus far and any follow up ones you may offer.
Happy & Safe reloading to you!

Nothing new really. I still use it and it still works very well for my applications. My results aren’t the most scientific. It works for me, especially with E-Tip bullets that tend to increase pressure substantially. Using hbn with them I get great accuracy, lower chamber pressure, and outstanding velocities. It reduces copper fouling in my bores, which reduces cleaning time. It’s not messy and has been very useful for me.

As far as the Gold Dots go I have 850 of the .308 caliber 150 grain flavor on the shelf. At least that’s what my inventory sheet says. They don’t foul my bore when tumbled in hbn. They are very accurate in my 308’s, and hold together on deer like chewed bubble gum.

Edit: I have to admit that I haven’t been doing much shooting lately. First, it’s been cold over the last couple months. Second, I closed the book on government service as my career, and got very bored.

I have since fallen back on previous experience and taken a job at an iron foundry, operating three 10,000 Kg pour pots for 3 camshaft and crankshaft mold lines. I run the melt deck, and ensure additives and chemistry of the iron is maintained. It just so happens that we use a LOT of hbn. We will coat the copper molds with hbn and peen the runner surfaces with an air hammer. Kind of the same principle of tumbling copper jacketed bullets in hbn, just on a much grander scale. I’ll pour 10,000 kilos of molten iron each hour to feed the lines. I’ve never had a job be so demanding and enjoy it so very much. Not too shabby for 50 years old. I am truly blessed.

Last edited:
Back