Colts, new revolver and 1911

Slimfinn

Handloader
Nov 28, 2018
What are your thoughts on them? Starting with the revolver the new Pythons or Anacondas worth spending the extra money over a Smith or Ruger?
As for a 1911 i was surprised to see a few on the shelf at the Scheels I stopped by today in the $1000 range, always liked the thought of having a "Colt 1911" (or AR), but would I be as happy with one as I am with my Kimber or Springfield?
Just sitting in my lazy-boy pondering deep thoughts this evening.

I’d get the new Python or Anaconda before buying a new S&W due to the dreaded Clinton Lock.

I’ve had one of those locks malfunction on me and lock the gun up tight while I was shooting. Luckily it wasn’t when I was in defense of life.

I think the new Colts are definitely worth the asking price if you like to shoot and don’t want to put a gunsmith’s kids through college. The new Smiths will require a trigger job unless it’s a Performance Center gun.

As for Ruger I’m finding the asking price to be too high. It’s the workhorse gun that lacks refinement to the eye in my opinion. I say that and I own a couple Rugers.

So if you’re going to send your new gun to a gunsmith get the Ruger. Avoid the Hillary Hole S&W guns, and take the Colt out of the box and get to shooting.

My next revolver will likely be a 6” engraved Python.

Vince

As for the Colt 1911 I love mine.

If you want a Colt you won’t be happy until you get one. I’ve had Springfields and they were fine guns but I wasn’t satisfied until I got a Colt.

Vince

As for Ruger I’m finding the asking price to be too high. It’s the workhorse gun that lacks refinement to the eye in my opinion. I say that and I own a couple Rugers.

Vince
This. All of this.

Always liked the looks of the Colts, ever since I was a kid. I suppose "some day" I'll get one, but realistically the only way I'll get my hands on one is if someone next to me at the range has one and offer to let me try it.

I fired Colt National Match 1911's for .45, S&W model 52 for centerfire, and S&W model .41 for .22 while the Wisconsin State National Guard pistol team because that is what we were issued. There really were not a lot of options available at that time in the 1911 platform except for the Gold Cup and custom made by Les Baer and Wilson. There are lots of options today and I now shoot a Kimber. I believe it is every bit as accurate and reliable as the Colt that I was issued. Either that or my shooting has gotten better......LoL.

Back