Columbia 8x42 Timberline binoculars

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Recently I've been using a pair of amazing binoculars, from Cameraland. Amazing why? Well, let me explain...

I opened the package and was immediately impressed. Inside the box was a nice black nylon case containing what turned out to be a good quality pair of 8x42mm binoculars.
IMG_3651.jpg

IMG_3653.jpg

IMG_3658.jpg

IMG_3662.jpg

IMG_3666.jpg

Here's the vital statistics:

Features:

* Fully multicoated optics
* BaK-4 for superb image brightness
* 1.2m close focus with internal center focus system
* Rugged metal body construction
* Waterproof/fogproof/nitrogen processed
* Excellent long eye relief
* Twist-up eyecups
* Protective molded case
* Textured armor for excellent grip
* COOLNECK quick release neck strap

Specifications:

* Power: 8x
* Objective: 42mm
* FOV @ 100 yds: 39' (7.4 deg)
* Close Focus: 1.2m
* Eye Relief: 18mm
* Size (mm): 140x128x52
* Weight (oz.): 24

What all that translates to is a set of solid, quality binoculars with good low-light performance and very good clarity. The resolution of detail is quite impressive. These are not small ultralights, but standard size binoculars with a great feel to them. The adjustments are smooth. There is a rubber cover for the ocular lenses, and individual objective lens covers that snap into place. Included in the package is not only the binos, case & neck strap, but also protective lens covers, a lens cleaning cloth, and a wet wipe lens cleaner. All told, this would make a dandy present for any hunter or outdoorsman, and my son is in for a treat this spring on his birthday!

He used the binos for the first time while on a six-mile hike in our Washington Cascades, and said that he really appreciated the nice Coolneck strap, which was very comfortable to wear. He was able to use the binos either with his glasses in place, or removing the glasses. These binos work either way, easily.

IMG_3657.jpg

IMG_3678.jpg

I found that the binos were very useful up the canyon looking for mule deer. In low light settings they were surprisingly good. The field of view is impressive, and I am very fond of the 8x power for a general purpose binocular. They're also available in 10x if more magnification is desired, and even with huge 56mm objective lenses for serious low light performance. The clarity of detail was impressive to say the least, I could easily make out details on mule deer several hundred yards distant. Today we found only doe mule deer, but in hunting season a pair of binos like these could make it very easy to count antler tines - something we need to do in this three-point minimum state.

IMG_3693.jpg

IMG_3700.jpg

Focus is fast and sure, and the binos stay in focus well, something others I've tried have not. Although I haven't had these very long, I asked several experienced hunters what they thought of the binos. One estimated their cost at $300 - $400. Another thought they were right up there with the best binos he'd ever used. One went so far as to compare them with the clarity of my Swaro rangefinder - which made me cringe - but yeah - they're pretty darned good.

Then I revealed the truth - these binos are avail right now at Cameraland for the utterly ridiculous price of $79.99.

Now I don't know about you, but as a hunter and outdoorsman, quality optics are essential. Yet, if I can get a pair of very good binoculars for under $100, I'm going to snap at it. This particular pair is not going back to Cameraland, they've found a permanent home with my hunting gear.

IMG_3697.jpg

Here's a link to Cameraland if you'd like to purchase the binos or learn more about them:

http://cameralandny1.reachlocal.net/opt ... erline8x42

And a link to Kruger Optical: http://www.krugeroptical.com/

Guy

Sounds like a great glass at a great price.
Thanks for posting that Guy!

JD338

In short I'd call those binos darned good, at a great price.

JD - I don't run across many "deals" because I'm not much of a shopper and things I buy tend to last a long time, years or decades, but when I came across these things -well, I just had to share the info. They're very good, at a great price.

Guy

Guy,

Reads like it was written by the advertising department of the firm. They should hire you. Seriously, though, it sounds as if these would be a great pair of spare binos for those who already have a pair, or a set just to keep in the truck. Thanks for posting. I'll look into this.

That's about it - they're good, and for the price I was very, very impressed. Guess that bubbled up when I wrote about 'em... :mrgreen:

Perfect? No - but I couldn't really find anything to knock. I'm going to try some resolution tests sometime in the next few days and see what I can find. A friend challenged me to read the writing on a bottle cap at 100 yards. Hadn't thought of that. Will give it a try. I suspect I'll see the bottle cap - but the writing on it? Hmmmm. Dunno. They're pretty good, but obviously there's a reason Swaro, Leica and the others cost what they do...

They beat the heck out of the other budget binos I've used over the years, and hold surprisingly close to the real good ones...

Yeah - I'd rather have made in America - but dang - I need some binos for the truck, for work, for general purpose messing around in the outdoors... Think I found 'em recently.

Guy

Back