Complementing Cartridges

CMBTshooter":3imgny22 said:
I'm going to work on a matching pair of Remington 700s to hunt anywhere in the world. I know for a large caliber I want a .375 H&H and for the smaller caliber I am thinking of a .30 cal or a 7mm. The issue is that I cannot decide which one! There are too many good ones out there and I would like to keep it a classic.

This is going to be a fun project. My brother and I are going to work on blueprinting and barreling the actions whenever I go home to visit next.

My 2 gun battery is 300 win mag, and 375 H&H, both work well for me and my needs :) ..I'd love to have more, but for now, I'm happy :grin: .. Good luck on your choice,Go get em! (y)

Lou

DrMike "It is a calibre designed to hold the space between a 6.5X55 and a 280, Bill."

Thanks Mike I think we owned one in about 65, Standard weight Model 70, one needed a wheelbarrow to get it through the woods. It would be nice to still have it, but I think it turned into a 300 Wby.

Elkman":1l39zmo9 said:
DrMike "It is a calibre designed to hold the space between a 6.5X55 and a 280, Bill."

Thanks Mike I think we owned one in about 65, Standard weight Model 70, one needed a wheelbarrow to get it through the woods. It would be nice to still have it, but I think it turned into a 300 Wby.

That happens when they're fed a proper diet. :shock:

You like classic and somewhat eclectic calibers and you handload. .308 Norma Magnum on a mauser 98 action. It readily downloads to 30-06 ballistics if you want a little less thump.

hodgeman":z97ya7x4 said:
Hard not to think about the .30-06 and the .375H&H for a two rifle battery good for anywhere in the world.

You can make a different choice, not sure there is a better choice.

I agree. Owning both of those rifles, I think very highly of that classic combination.

Ruark used the heck out of his .30-06, with the .375 doing his work on lion and perhaps other game. From what I've read, those seem to be the two rifles he used the most in Africa.

Another neat thing that I've noted, is that the .30-06 and .375 have very similar trajectories - making it easy for the hunter to switch from one to the other, without having to memorize the trajectory of some other oddball cartridge.

I keep both of mine sighted in at 200 yards, and ring the 300 yard gong easily with either rifle, just holding on top of the gong.

Guy

Idahoctd-----Cheyenne ( yukon huntress ) has a matching trio--375, 300 and 275 all H & H

Hodgeman, in response to your point about availability in remote areas: Many areas in Europe and Africa will have more 300 H & H ammo on the shelve than they do 30-06

I would go with the 300 and 375 H & H ( actually I did ) But it is hard to argue with the 30-06 and 375 as a two gun battery

Best Regards

Jamila

Cheyenne probably has them on M70's though. These are going to be Rem. 700's so it might be a little sacrilege to some to house a classic like those in such a thing :lol: . Me, I'm not a classic type of person, I'm always looking for bigger and better things. I do have a few classics that line my safe never to see the light of day and have built several 375 H&H's, albeit on Remington 700's. I'm always up for giving ideas to help someone rid themselves of cash.

Back