Cool 7mm08

ccoker, I believe that he will be very happy with that rifle. The 7mm-08 is a handy calibre!!

Blessings,
Dan

Nice I like it, particularly the height of the comb. I like the 7 08 too. I bought my wife one in a Kimber.
My daughter has expressed an interest in hunting, i think your's might be one to look at. let us know how it shoots.

I do believe you secured a fine rifle chambered in a great cartridge for your son. Congratulations to each of you.

Looks cool, but the 20" barrel is a bit of a turn off to me. Maybe if I was going to suppress it?

I like the shorter barrel
He is not going to be talking long shots where every bit if velocity is needed.

This barrel profile is too thin to the be threaded for a can.
I am working with them to make a 16" threaded 308 to bring to market.

It is a nice little gun, it's not a Nosler but a decent gun.

You won't lose a significant amount of velocity with the twenty inch barrel when contrasted to a twenty-two inch barrel. The differential will be in the vicinity of 50 to 70 fps. I prefer the slightly longer barrel, but it is because of aesthetics and balance rather than energy profiles.

I bought one several years ago from my "rifle mentor." His kids were grown and gone and my oldest was just moving up from a .17 hmr to the next big thing. I bought the rem. 700 with muzzlebrake and 2.3 lb trigger. It immediately became one of my favorites. I hand-loaded some AccuBond 140's for it and it is so far responsible for my first whitetail buck, a bonus doe and a cow elk for my nephew and a coyote for me last winter. I started with an old Bausch and Lomb scope but have since upgraded to a Leupold vx-2, 4x12x40 which compliments it well. All animals were well hit and needed only one shot except the elk which was not well hit and needed two. It does deserve more credit than it gets, its a great caliber for kids and adults-hope you like yours as much as I like mine!

Attachments

• IMG_0226.jpg
    IMG_0226.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,257
Nice buck!

Yeah, not that I need another rifle but this gun could certainly serve me as well.
I have a lot of 7mm bullets on hand as well as I run a 280 AI

ccoker":33hrbb2y said:
I like the shorter barrel
He is not going to be talking long shots where every bit if velocity is needed.

This barrel profile is too thin to the be threaded for a can.
I am working with them to make a 16" threaded 308 to bring to market.

It is a nice little gun, it's not a Nosler but a decent gun.

Cool. It suits your purposes nicely, then. I'm like Mike in that I like a little longer barrel. 6'6" guys look funny carrying carbines.

I agree that +/- a 100 or so fps isn't going to make much difference. I also agree that short barrels for a tall person is going to affect balance more, same as long barrels for a short person. All that is individual preference or likes. Personally at 5'8" I like shorter barrels for the balance reason, but also hunting in cover. Still hunting timber has been my prefered method over the years. Sometimes with rounds that still have some power and reach, if still hunting parallel to medows or fire breaks. If I need more power, I move up in caliber, as in the past my hunting distance's have been well under the long range arena. Long barrels with high velocity rounds are still my prefered for longer ranges however.
Then again when considering speed, bullet choice is a factor as much as anything. I handgun hunt with bottle necks, and with their lower velocity out of the short tubes, bullet performance is important. The BT in the lighter weights for caliber, is considered by many to be an excellent bullet for hunting handguns. Point is, I think more on terminal performance choices, rather than intitial internal and external ballistics. While they don't have the range if fired in standard rounds compared to magnums, the design of the LRAB can help cartridge's of non-magnum capacity/lower velocity rounds imo. Whether that be in carbine or pistol length barrels, or the longer tube of the extreme range outfits. Just some thoughts......

Very nice rifle!
Can't wait to see some pictures with your son and his new rig on a successful hunt.

JD338

Shot it over the weekend..
less than a 1/2 dozen down the pipe, .4" average

Son got on a pig Saturday night but it was moving and he didn't feel he had a clean shot so he passed..

He likes it and it so do I :)

Barnes-7mm08-120g-TTSX-group-as-fired-from-Weatherby-Vangaurd-Mark-2-with-Trijicon-Accupoint-3-9-mildot-greendot.jpg

Back