Coues deer, which gun?

Here is his friends mount...a little creative...
2eebc0b885d5fda06ed0ce99e776c982.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good looking deer. Most interesting mount for his friend's deer. They are lovely creatures.

Depends on the exact terrain being hunted. I guess I will be the one to say 30-378! Not because of the power, because it's better at long range shooting than a 270(wind drift). That is assuming the rifle and shooter is setup and prepared for that kind of shooting. Of course a 270 will smoke any deer all day long much less a cous deer. Even a .243 will do nicely.

True coues deer country is an expensive optics on any cheap but accurate rifle endeavor.
It’s nothing to put a $1200 scope on a $300 rifle.

Vince

Very nice deer :wink:. As far as rifle calibre there is no doubt that the 270win is the go to calibre on deer size animals they are flat shooting and with 130gr. projectile preferably a AccuBond they are lethal (y).

Blessings,
Dan

mjcmichigan":20hd0m0r said:
Thought you’d like to see the results. Matt went this weekend. Took the 270win.
Here’s the Axis deer from this morning, he’s going out this afternoon for a “black deer”?
2f4b687eab70b8659a27fa769338c51b.jpg

DRT.

Interesting looking Coues deer

Actually the Axis is the better looking deer of the two IMHO, congratulations to your friend.

I like the Axis deer mount using the skin in the shape of Texas. Very creative.

If he does go Coues deer hunting, Arizona has some good ones, and as I mentioned before, a good spotting scope is worth its weight in gold when Coues hunting. His 270 will work as well on his Coues hunt as it did his Axis hunt

April, Dr Mike, Scottie, everyone else, he had a blast and was really happy with the 270. Thank you for the reassurances. He is getting his Axis buck mounted. I think he’ll be running back down there in the future to get a black buck (Antelope). He saw some nice ones.
Sorry I got the species wrong ... Axis is beautiful.

Custom gun builder David Miller here in Tucson recommends that one use a .300 Win. Mag. foe Coues deer. :shock: He builds one on a Pre-64 style Winchester with laminated stock somewhere in the $6K range IIRC. :shock: He uses one himself and I understand he has quite a few in the B&C book.

I've tried hunting them a time or two years ago before I ruined a knee that keeps me from doing the more rugged climbs necessary to do a trophy hunt so never did bag one. The few possibles I did see were running like hell and way out yonder. They sure are spooky little critters.
Paul B.

PJGunner":k1r0ov8i said:
Custom gun builder David Miller here in Tucson recommends that one use a .300 Win. Mag. foe Coues deer. :shock: He builds one on a Pre-64 style Winchester with laminated stock somewhere in the $6K range IIRC. :shock: He uses one himself and I understand he has quite a few in the B&C book.

I've tried hunting them a time or two years ago before I ruined a knee that keeps me from doing the more rugged climbs necessary to do a trophy hunt so never did bag one. The few possibles I did see were running like hell and way out yonder. They sure are spooky little critters.
Paul B.

Paul, was Miller a Win Mag or Wby Mag fan? Sorry to derail. I need to look him up when I’m in Tucson next time. Beautiful rifle.

I was going from memory and you know how that goes. :roll: It could just as easily have been the Weatherby. I just think either one would be a bit much for those small deer. :wink:
Paul B.

Back