Custom 280 Ackley improved

brikwhitt

Beginner
Oct 9, 2016
Finally after a year since this project started my custom is complete and headed home. Can not wait to get it scoped and started on load development.

ba2fd591018faa40e18687135ade79ae.jpg

3d023788ee6965316d29fef5943767d8.jpg

b1e94d15089804f25436cad4d55124c2.jpg

b4a7b872047c2eccda28d3b4824e3e4d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Nice looking rifle. The 280 AI is a great round.
Give us the details of your build.
What bullet are you going to run?

JD338

Glad to see it coming to you. I'll be watching for your load as it progresses.

JD I have the 150gn ABLR, and 162gn ELD-X. I'm hoping for 3100 fps with the ABLR, and 3000 with the ELD-X. I hope I can get one of the two to behave for me.

I have H4831sc, R17, IMR7828ssc and R26. I'm hoping to hit those velocities with one of the powders listed, but will settle for 3000 for about 100 fps or so less if thats where I find accuracy.

Forgot the build specifics.

All work done by Eddie Fosnaugh

SS Remington 700 LA .473 bolt face trued to the C/L of the bolt raceways.

Eddies Over size Bolt knob installed

Side bolt release installed

Krieger SS 7mm M24 contour 1:9 twist 4 groove finished at 26 inch

Eddie's Oversize recoil lug

Timney Trigger set to 2 pounds

Williams bottom metal.

Pillar bedded into a Manners T3 stock

Nightforce 20 MOA rails

Nightforce 34mm scope rings

All metal cerkoted black

Stock Cerkoted a 3 color GAP Camo

It will wear a Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56mm scope

That rifle looks like all business! Congrats on a new rifle. Eddie builds some nice rifles and his painting is some of the best I've seen.

All Business was the look I was after. I shoot with a lot of AR10 guys, so a heavy tactical influence played a roll in my customs design. I'm not much into the AR platform myself, more of a Bolt Gun typ. To each their own. Paint it purple it will do the same thing. Go BOOM!

Very nice! I think you're quite likely to have a long range tack driver with that rifle.

I'm curious about the weight, if you have that handy.

Thanks, Guy

Smidge over 15.5 pounds once its scoped.

brikwhitt":2olf3djw said:
Smidge over 15.5 pounds once its scoped.

Thanks. I figured with that barrel, it was going to have some heft. Nice... (y)

Guy

Should ride the bags real well off the bench.

That is a fine looking rifle and I am sure that you will enjoy the 280AI mine is a joy to shoot :wink:.
I am quite sure you will hit 3100fps using the 150gr. ABLRs as I have the same barrel on my Custom and I am up over 3150fps using RL22.
There are number of members here that shoot the 280AI and I have not heard to many bad words about them (y).
Thank you for the post with photos and I am sure looking forward to your range reports with more photos :).

Blessings,
Dan

Hello Dan, thanks for the input. My rifle is safely home right now. I'm only waiting to get off work so I can remove it from it's case and take a good look at it. I havent been this excited since I was a little boy on the night before christmas.

Rifle showed up today, and as I suspected, the fit, finish, coating allof it is top notch. Eddie builds one hell of a rifle. Will mount my Nightforce ATACR this weekend.

Thing just looks accurate as heck just sitting there.

Sounds like a great build. Should be a tack driver.
The 150 gr ABLR is an accurate bullet and hard on the deer.

JD338

We shall see. I have some reloader 26 that might work out for me with the 150gn ABLR. From the consensus I've gatherd, seems like the ABLR likes some jump. I figured the opposite would be true.

Back