custom ammo for 22LR

live to shoot

Beginner
May 23, 2006
Is there any merrit to having a line of match or hunting ammo for the 22LR ? I would bet that there are countless numbers of prarrie dogs that are shot each year with 22's. In my neck of the woods, match shoots with 22's are quite popular, they even print the winners and upcoming events, in one of the local papers as well.
Here is my current prarrie dog / rabbit shooter / paper puncher

Rimfires are very unique animals in that the barrels dictate how accurately they'll shoot with a given brand/type of ammunition. I've owned high dollar Anschutz's that wouldn't shoot "Match" ammunition worth a hoot, but feed them some $2/box wolf or Winchester ammo and it would shoot one-hole groups all day long. By the same token, I've had guns that were just the opposite and wouldn't shoot any cheap ammunition worth a hoot, but would tear up any contender with quality match ammo.

To compound this, simply going from one lot of ammo to another (same brand/style) can cause huge differences in accuracy. As such, marketing what's called "Match Grade" rimfire ammunition is pointless IMO as the gun it's being shot from will be the determining factor on how accuracte the ammo is. The only real benefit you can see from match grade ammo is better consistency in construction (rim thickness, charge weight, primer, etc.).

I do not know how a line of 22lr match ammo would do. It is an interesting idea though.

Nosler3

Ok, maybe not a line of match ammo, but how about a rimfire with a ballistic tip ? One of the reasons that the 17 hmr and the like shoot so flat is because they don't use RN bullets. I would like to know how flat a 35 or 40g BT would shoot from a 22. Just a thought

live to shoot":8l9llirt said:
Ok, maybe not a line of match ammo, but how about a rimfire with a ballistic tip ? One of the reasons that the 17 hmr and the like shoot so flat is because they don't use RN bullets. I would like to know how flat a 35 or 40g BT would shoot from a 22. Just a thought
Using existing .22LR chambers and barrels, this would be difficult. Why? Look at a .22 LR round sometime. Bullet diameter is the same as that of the casing. Actually, the .22 LR projectile is well optimized for best performance in the speed ranges it is typically fired at (900-1200 FPS). To outperform it, muzzle velocity needs to increase beyond 1400 FPS, and/or drag needs to significantly decrease. Given the design constraints of the .22LR projectile (i.e., the heel of the projectile needs to be smaller than the body), the latter isn't likely.

Big reasons why the 17HMR and 17 H2 outshoot the .22 LR:
  • Bullet weight. Projectiles for the .17s are significantly lighter than those found in most .22LRs. Scale up all dimensions of a .177 caliber projectile so the diameter grows to .222", and the projectile weight doubles. This means that the 17 grain, .177" projectile becomes a 34 grain, .222" one.
  • Projectile shape. Projectiles for the .17s are longer than .22s of the same weight. Combined with a more ballistically efficient ogive (nose), the .17s have less drag, and hence lose speed more slowly.
  • Propellant. THIS IS THE BIGGEST REASON FOR THE DIFFERENCE IN PERFORMANCE. Both .17 caliber rimfire rounds are loaded to higher pressures than most .22LR ammunition. This results in higher muzzle velocities - nearly double that of .22LR ammunition. 17 Mach 2 ammo is loaded to 2100 FPS, and 17 HMR to 2550.
Oh, you can get better performance out of a .22 caliber projectile - if you use a larger case, such as a .22WMR or .22 Hornet. And if you use a .223 Remington, no .17 caliber rimfire will keep up with you.

Nosler3":3dr8lplq said:
I do not know how a line of 22lr match ammo would do. It is an interesting idea though.

Nosler3
In order, it depends on accuracy and the price - and if both can be met while allowing the manufacturer to make a profit. Rumor has it that Federal Ammunition never made one cent off their match ammunition (grades 900A, 900B, 1000A, and 1000B), despite charging $4/box or more.

There is a market for such ammo, but the buyers tend to be very discriminating. However, if you can consistently build great ammo in quantity at a fair price, they'll beat your doors down to buy it.

Back