Custom Build Options

TRIC

Beginner
Dec 14, 2005
This has been discussed before, but I am working on a project, and have yet to find the right answer to the "perfect" choice. Several thoughts come to mind - cartridge, action, barrell make, blued or stainless, barrell length, fluted or straight, stock issues, total weight, scope, intended use. So, with those, or maybe more, choices, here are my desires.

Intended use - Deer, black bear, goat, sheep

Action - I am partial to Mauser

Barrell Make - Lija?

Blue/Stainless - I live in the Northwest, rain, stainless

Barrell length - For a custom job 26", maybe even 28"

Barrell - Fluted, let's save on the weight

Scope - Not a big fan of variables, a straight 6X would be my choice

Stock - Well colored laminate

Weight - No more than 7 1/2 pounds, total!

Chartridge - 7x57mm, 264 Win Mag, or?

Any suggestions?

The laminate may put you over your arbitrary weight limit. Otherwise, you seem to have a pretty good handle on what you want.

Have to agree with DrMike. Laminate might be a little heavy. How about a carbon fiber barrel.
Russ

With a 26" - 28" barrel, I'd guess you're planning to hunt some of the vast clearcuts. Anticipated range to game?

I think 7.5 pounds might be a little optimistic with a laminated stock and a 28" barrel. Laminated stocks tend to be heavy, and that long a barrel needs a little girth for stability. Consider a "light palma" taper if you're using a 28" barrel. They're stiff enough for accuracy, and light enough to be used for slow-fire without a rest. I rather like the Palma and Light Palma contours.

Sure that elk aren't on the menu?

Regards, Guy

Original Mausers dont come in stainless. So you'd have to use a Mauser clone/knock off or have it coated. Anything over 26" starts to get cumbersome in the woods IMO not to mention it get's harder to make your weight the longer it is. A laminated stock can be "gutted" to get the weight down but I would go synthetic and leave a little more weight in the barrel. As for calibers it would depend on how recoil sensitive you are. A 6.5-.284, .284, .280 Ackley, or 7mm-.300Win. would be what I would choose from for the critters your after. If you want to include elk I would go .30 cal or .338 cal.

I see that accurate innovations is now making a laminated stock from BamBoo, it supposedly very strong yet very light. If I personally was going the custom route a 280 AI in a defiance or neiska action would be the start of my build. If your using it as lighter weight mountain rig you need a caliber that can take advantage of the higher BC bullets (Assuming you plan on taking shots over 500 yrds). so for me that is the 6.5 or the 7mm calibers.

If you're building on a military mauser 98 action, an unorthodox choice might be to have a CM barrel and your action parkerized. Several coats of light oil will "season" the finish making it more rust proof than standard blued. You could also use one of the modern coatings like Duracoat. Otherwise a blued action with a stainless barrel doesn't look bad in my opinion.

For caliber for your uses I would strongly consider 260 rem, 6.5-06, 270 win or 280 rem. These will all reach out quite well and work in a standard mauser 98 action without further tweaking and have plenty of power for your quarry with manageble to light recoil. The only issue will be with heavier bullets in the 280 you will have to shorten your COL below those listed in most manuals if you are using a K98 action. I don't believe you will have this issue with older Gew. 98 pattern actions (Turk, Argy, BRNO, etc. Ludwig Lowe or DWM contract).

For stock, as above laminates are heavier. I'm personally biased against any synthetic stock on any hunting rifle. I just think they're ugly. Just personal preference. I'd try a stock from Richards microfit. Order as soon as possible, they take a long time to get to you, but they make a great product. You can rasp away as much extra wood as you like and bore some lightening holes in the buttstock under the buttplate. I really like their dual grip thumbhole design. Beautiful lines and makes a very stable shooting platform. Great ergonomics for carrying all day. They will cut a slimline forend to save some weight.

You could go with a Claro Walnut stock instead of a laminate. That wood is a bit more porous than American walnut and therefore lighter. It is considerably lighter than a laminate stock.
For optics, if this fits your budget, it would be my top choice. http://www.valdada.com/product/997e0103 ... 32784.aspx

Hope this helps.

TRIC":hgojq01q said:
Intended use - Deer, black bear, goat, sheep (.280 Remington)

Action - I am partial to Mauser (Winchester Model 70 or Ruger Model 77 Hawkeye action)

Barrell Make - Lija? (Lilja - Shilen) (good trigger also)

Blue/Stainless - I live in the Northwest, rain, stainless (Stainless or coated)

Barrell length - For a custom job 26", maybe even 28" (24" - maybe 26")

Barrell - Fluted, let's save on the weight (fluted, standard contour)

Scope - Not a big fan of variables, a straight 6X would be my choice (6x42 Leupold :grin: )

Stock - Well colored laminate (Boyds nutmeg laminate - pillar & glass bedded) (If we have to go synthetic :evil: a Bell & Carlson w/aluminum bedding block)

Weight - No more than 7 1/2 pounds, total!

Chartridge - 7x57mm, 264 Win Mag, or? (280 Remington 140 gr. Partition or AccuBond)

Any suggestions?
How did I do??? :shock:
It's sure fun spending someone's money for them! :lol:
David

Had another thought. Although you are partial to Mauser actions ( I am too, but I'm a flatlander so I don't mind the weight) they are relatively heavy. A very light, smooth and accurate action is the Savage 110. The accutrigger models have been in circulation long enough now you might find a gunshow special that's been rode hard to save you some cash.

Another choice might be a Springfield 03A3 action. They are slightly lighter than a mauser with a bit more clearance for longer bullets. A swede M96 is also a good stong action and a bit lighter than an M98. You might find one of those thats shoots well enough in 6,5X55 with the original military barrel shortened and re-crowned that you wouldn't have to rebarrel. Great round. I do love the .280 rem though and it will fit your purpose perfectly.

DrMike":1n31r2va said:
The laminate may put you over your arbitrary weight limit. Otherwise, you seem to have a pretty good handle on what you want.

I agree. Go with a lightweight Kevlar or fiberglass stock. Spendy for the lightweight stuff but worth it.
Barrel can be Hart Lilja, shilen, or Pac-nor or Krieger , SS fluted finished at 26".

Sheep and goat are usually long distance propositions so a 257 or 270 Bee or 264 Win are my choices.

My version of that rifle is a WBY MK V Ultralight in 257 Mag. 110 accubonds at 3500 fps+ and 80 TTSX at 3900+ fps.
Rifle ready to go under 8 lbs.

Attachments

• 25b.jpg
    25b.jpg
    578.6 KB · Views: 857
Action - If you want stainless find a Montana or M70, CM I'd find an FN commercial action.

Barrell Make - Lilja is a good choice

Blue/Stainless - If you are worried about weather KG Gunkote it.

Barrell length - Since weight is an issue 22-24" barrel.

Barrell - Featherweight contour, were building a hunting rilfe not a bench gun a.nd a good barrel will be accurate

Scope - Not a big fan of variables, Leupold FX3 6X with LRD and target knobs.

Stock -McMillan Edge fill and get it paitned or dipped. I'd build it without bottom metal to save weight as well.

Weight - No more than 7 1/2 pounds, should be close.

Chartridge - 7x57mm that way you don't need a long barrel for speed.

That is how I'd build it and you should be able to hunt anything you want, more than what you just listed as well.

Back