Custom fitting a bullet seater...10mm 200 grain XTP specific

Ridgerunner665

Handloader
Oct 28, 2008
Took the modification to the RCBS seater plug a step further yesterday...

Used Gorilla brand epoxy to custom fit the seater plug to the 200 grain XTP, just tested it out... It appears to be a success, the bullets look like they were seated at the factory.

Pretty simple to do.

Fill the nose cavity of the bullet with modeling clay.

Rough up and enlarge the inside of the seating plug... I used a Dremel.

Pick a bullet that doesn't have any imperfections on the important parts... Below the skives, above the case mouth.

Coat that bullet and the outside of the seater with Kiwi neutral shoe polish.

Put the epoxy in the seater, place the bullet in the seater plug, put them in a vice under light pressure (just enough to hold them in place and straight), wipe the excess epoxy from the outside of the seater plug... Let that sit for at least 6 hours, and don't use it for 24 hours.

Presto! A custom seater plug.

No seater plug out there fits the 200 grain XTP well enough to use compressed loads without some bullet damage, be it crushed noses or ring around the bullet.

This worked, thought I'd share.

Good job and thanks for the tip.
I was having problems seating lead semi wad cutters for my .45 acp in my Dillon presses so I pulled the seater stem and used a drill bit to drill out the depth of the stem and allowing to seat on the shoulder of the bullet instead of the nose. This has worked well for me with all types of .45 bullets on my .45 acp loads.

Great info. Never done it but it sounds like a great way to go. I wouldn't mind trying it with some rifle bullet seaters as well.

Back