custom rifle build

trsmith1818

Beginner
Jul 17, 2011
After much internal debate I hav edecided to build a custom rifle. This will be based on a Rem 700 chambered in 30-06 (my favorite cartidge). I am looking for a consensus (as if thats possible on this site ;-) for recommended barrel makers? ive looked at Pac-Nor, Shilen, Krieger Hart...any others. I will also have them tru up the bolt face and action. Any other recommendations would be great.

I have a Hart barrel, very accurate and easy to clean. I also have the Tubb recoil lug.

JD338

I hope to be trying out a barrel from PacNor to make one of my .270s more interesting (6.5-06, .280AI or .338-06) and maybe one from Benchmark (.222 maybe?) fairly soon. Love to get a Brux
(heavy barrel .223/.223AI), too. Honestly, any of the top tier barrel makers put out a product better than my ability to use it. And I think the quality of the fitting of the barrel is more important than the barrel itself.

http://www.6mmbr.com/barrels.html

Mine was ordered a month ago :) I got the PacNor super match barrel in stainless. I guess I will see in a few more months how good PacNor is.

Blessings,
Dan

rick smith":3ht1nbzd said:
Lilja makes good barrels. Tubbs recoil lug, McMillan stock and a Jewell trigger.Rick.
+1 lilja mcmillan jewel. krieger and bartlein make great barrels also. lilja is 10-12 weeks out and longer for the krieger and bartleins

trsmith1818,

The barrels you named are all noted as well built and providing the basis for accuracy. Lilja and Kreiger are each recognised names, as others have noted. I don't believe you'll be disappointed in any that have been named so far.

the ones most reccomended by the smiths on LRH are
krieger, lilja, broughton, hart,brux, and rock creek

RR

That will be fun putting it together and having it just how YOU want it! I think any of the reputable barrel makers you mentioned will provide you with a good product. Of course the 700 is a great action, and you simply cannot do any better than choosing the 30-06! :wink: It's never a mistake picking that cartridge for just about everything.

Have you decided on a scope yet and what will you be hunting with it, duh everything! A 2.5-8x36 Leupold, a 3.5-10x40 Leupold, or a 3x9 Zeiss Conquest would all work great on a rifle made for all kinds hunting. We need more information because we really want assist in helping you spend your money..........wisely! :mrgreen: :grin:

Have fun and enjoy the anticipation!
David

Have to throw this out there for "Guy" as he'll pitch in here pretty soon. Almost forgot one more excellent scope for a rilfe like that, a FIXED power 6x42 or 6x36 Leupold. All of my own personal rifles wear fixed power scopes and I love the 6x Leupold.

Don't really have much to offer when it comes to selecting a barrel maker. Generally I run a Krieger - have been through a few of their .30 cal barrels now, as well as a Hart. One thing nice about the Krieger cut-rifled barrel is that it tends to lose accuracy gradually rather than having it fall off abruptly.

I've had excellent results from the Kriegers - but have seen rifles with barrels by Pac Nor, Lilja and Hart do very well also. More important than the barrel itself is likely who puts it together. I like your idea of having Pac Nor or Krieger or Hart do that - but be prepared to wait quite a while.

If there's a rifle builder in your area who is favored by the varmint shooters and the target shooting/competition crowd, he's probably pretty good. What I'll do is order up my new barrel well in advance. Then the smith calls me when it's in. I'll take my rifle in and have it back with the new barrel on it in a week or sometimes less.

Really like the idea of a custom .30-06 rifle. So many guys just use a factory .30-06, and go to something "better" when they get a custom barrel for the rifle - but the good old .30-06 can still be a very effective and accurate cartridge.

A custom barrel from one of the well regarded makers can open up a whole new world of precision shooting. Consider a set of true match-grade dies, and all new quality loading components to go along with your new rifle barrel. Another benefit, often not fully appreciated is that they require less cleaning since they copper foul so little. Not unusual for NRA Highpower competitors to go through a weekend match, 130 rounds, without ever cleaning their rifles - and they're still X-Ring accurate at the end of the match.

Carefully consider the length and weight of your new rifle barrel. A lot of guys will order a barrel that's just too doggone heavy. Fine at the range, but a club to carry afield.

Enjoy! The process of selecting components and having them all assembled (or doing some of it yourself) is a lot of fun. At the end of it you'll likely end up with exactly the rifle you want. Building this rifle around the .30-06 may eliminate the need to have very many other rifles in your inventory...

Guy

If you are deciding to replace the stock you should consider the Mcmillan Edge, I really like mine.

I used a Pac-Nor on my 280 AI, and it is not hard at all to get it to shoot under .5 MOA, and cleans up really nicely. I should be getting my next Pac-Nor for my 270 WSM project here in a month or two.

That is the only custom barrel I have ever used, so I can't comment on others. I'm sure they are all good though.

Custom build.- would be.-
Remington 700 blueprinted.
Broughton Barrel, to me one of the finest.
Manners stock
Glass bedded free floated.
jewell trigger
Teflon Coated like it better than Cerakote.
Bases and Rings.- nightforce
with a nice Nightforce on top of it.

have build rifles with douglas,pacnor, shilen,hart, shneider but now
only-Broughton.

Based on hanging around a few forums doing a lot of reading, and having built a few custom rifles with barrels from different makers, I'd say that what matters most is that you choose a good 'smith who'll line things up properly. Any of the barrel makers turn out great products with a bum tube here and there, but a great tube turned on poorly won't shoot as well as a $90 Adams & Bennett turned on straight (I've got one and it SHOOTS!).

Wow guys...thanks for all the input on barrels. So far I am thinking of going with a Krieger barrel. What is the general consensus on 5-R rifling? I have this rifling on my current gun and was thinking of doing it on the custom? I will have whomever I chose for the barrel, blueprint and install the barrel. Living in Chicago I dont have alot of options that I can find for "smiths" Unless you know of any?

Stock-wise I am looking into some custom work from accurate innnovations, as I am hard fast on wanting wood. We are bouncing around some design aspects right now and trying to meet in the middle on price. Besides this rifle being on hell of a shooter, I am also building it with the anticipation of it being an heirloom piece.

Keep the info/opinions coming.

I've had my gunsmith rebarrel 4 rifles for me. I went with Douglas on all four and am very happy with them. For the record, all 4 rifles are sub-MOA. cartridge sinclude the 7x57, .280 Rem., .308 Win., and 30-06. OOPS!, I left out the .375 Taylor. :oops: That's a .338 Win. mag. necked up tp .375 caliber. Great cartridge that duplicate the .375 H&H in a 30-06 length action. Thumps good at both ends in that 7.5 pound rifle. I carry it a lot and shoot it little. :wink: :lol: :lol:
If you don't have a problem shipping your rifle to Arizona, I can recommend my gunsmith for a decent rebarrel job. In fact. I'll be having him do up another rifle for me as soon as I can scrounge the money. Being retired and on a fixed income has put a slight damper on my custom gun building. :(
Paul B.

still waiting on word back from the stock maker for my custom checkering. I plan on re-using my Leupold VXIII-L 3x10.5 as my scope.

in my continued looking for barrels i ran across a shaw barrel company? any pro/con experiences? The prices seem good?

Back