Custom Ruger Compact in 260 Rem

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
I will post when it gets here and I have it set up, but the Custom Ruger M77 Mk II in 260 Rem with a 1-9 twist Shilen octagon shaped barrel, glass bedded in a wooden stock (It use to be a compact but a longer barrel was needed while having a light and ridged barrel, hence the octagon barrel) and will be in next week. I will be putting a new VX-II 2-7x33mm on it.

This will be a light carry rifle for the mountains for coues deer and black bear as well as deer and hogs down south. This will be my spot and stalk rifle for small to medium game.

POP has helped me research powder and charges. I owned a 260 Rem when it was first put out by Ruger. I did some reloading for it and will be try some different bullets. I will be using MRP, H4350, H414 and 760 along with a few other powders and will be able to drive a 130gr bullet at 2967fps or there about.

I also learned with my first 260 Rem, that the BC with the .264 bullet is so great and velocities are not magnum velocities with the 260 that I need a bullet that will open up quick. I hunted with the Scirocco which is a tough bullet and at 60yds it past through the deer and hit a pine tree 2 feet behind the deer and it took off and we never found that deer and there was no blood. So I need a more frangible bullet because the .264 bullet will really penetrate deep. The BT, SST, SMK and the VLD like below

265273.jpg

Berger Hunting Bullets 264 Caliber, 6.5mm (264 Diameter) 130 Grain VLD Hollow Point Boat Tail Box of 100 BC 552

I will post pictures when it is all set up.

bullet -

Congrats on the new member to the safe. Look forward to what load development works best for you.

You are correct on extreme penetration out of the 6.5's Don't quote me here, but the pic below I took a while back. I want to say left to right is
.30 Cal 200gr A-bond, 7mm 140gr A-bond followed by the 130gr Berger.

POP turned me onto the H414 which works great out of the longer barreled .260 I have with the 130 gr Accubonds.
I started playing a little last time with RL-19 which showed some real promise with the VLD's. So far the " go fast powder " has been N-560 for me.
Milk jug testing has shown just that - massive expansion - complete coming appart of the VLD's @ 100yds that I've played with.

The 120gr B-tip scootin along slightl over 3000fps might be a good winner at close range as well ??

I've posted several times, but have the pic of the recovered 130gr AccuBond out of my Dad's elk last year as well if interested.....

GUNS2008014.jpg

The Accubonds and BT are going to be considered and tried. You know me, I want a balance between good accuracy 1/2 or better and highest possible velocities with that accuracy. :)

In my 6.5X55 I have used the 120 Nosler ballistic tip at 3000 fps on white tail deer out to 300 yards and let me tell you it is a killer. Put one in the boiler room and get your skinning knife. So is the Sierra 120 and the 140 at 2800 fps. For a little tougher game like bear the 130 AccuBond would be a good one. I used the 130 AB in my 264 Win mag at 3350 fps this past fall to take 4 deer from 98 to 275 yards and it really did a good job. I recovered one from a deer shot at 111 yards facing me. The bullet was found in a ham and was a perfect textbook mushroom and weight was 87 grs.

bullet

Congratulations on the 260 Rem. The 120 gr BT will kill deer like lighting but if you need more penetration, consider the 125 gr PT or the 130 gr AB.

JD338

Mike,

Congratulations on the 260. It will undoubtedly prove worthwhile for you.

bullet":1c6tp75b said:
I will post when it gets here and I have it set up, but the Custom Ruger M77 Mk II in 260 Rem with a 1-9 twist Shilen octagon shaped barrel, glass bedded in a wooden stock (It use to be a compact but a longer barrel was needed while having a light and ridged barrel, hence the octagon barrel) and will be in next week. I will be putting a new VX-II 2-7x33mm on it.

This will be a light carry rifle for the mountains for coues deer and black bear as well as deer and hogs down south. This will be my spot and stalk rifle for small to medium game.

POP has helped me research powder and charges. I owned a 260 Rem when it was first put out by Ruger. I did some reloading for it and will be try some different bullets. I will be using MRP, H4350, H414 and 760 along with a few other powders and will be able to drive a 130gr bullet at 2967fps or there about.

I also learned with my first 260 Rem, that the BC with the .264 bullet is so great and velocities are not magnum velocities with the 260 that I need a bullet that will open up quick. I hunted with the Scirocco which is a tough bullet and at 60yds it past through the deer and hit a pine tree 2 feet behind the deer and it took off and we never found that deer and there was no blood. So I need a more frangible bullet because the .264 bullet will really penetrate deep. The BT, SST, SMK and the VLD like below

265273.jpg

Berger Hunting Bullets 264 Caliber, 6.5mm (264 Diameter) 130 Grain VLD Hollow Point Boat Tail Box of 100 BC 552

.......................Very interesting there Bullet!!!

Since the original barrel length of the Ruger compact is 16.5", how long is the new barrel length going to be?? And you`re thinking about using the Berger "hunting" VLDs.???? And a new handier walk around, mountain and stalking rifle as well????

I never expected to read this coming from you!!! Quite a change of pace!!!

Well! You won`t need to worry about tracking your game (deer, hogs) using the hunting VLDs. The 168 VLDs from my 300 WSM Ruger carbine (mighty mouse), in the low 2900s (not the max loadings), have accounted for 18 hogs ranging from 175 lbs to well over 400 lbs at 80 to 243 yards. Only 3 of the 18 ran no more than 10 yards before dropping. Their vitals were for the most part,,,,,,mush!!! All were one shot kills! Same one shot result using a 190 VLD on a big bull elk thru the right shoulder bone last Nov at 328 yards. Staggered two to four yards and down he went!!!

A handier Ruger 260 Remy and using the VLDs??? A great game stopping combo there my friend!!!

PS; I hope that your new barrel`s length is no more than 20"...Otherwise, the rifle OAL approaches full sized territory.

bullet":2bty9hh0 said:

265273.jpg

.......................Very interesting there Bullet!!!

Since the original barrel length of the Ruger compact is 16.5", how long is the new barrel length going to be?? And you`re thinking about using the Berger "hunting" VLDs.???? And a new handier walk around, mountain and stalking rifle as well????

I never expected to read this coming from you!!! Quite a change of pace!!!

Well! You won`t need to worry about tracking your game (deer, hogs) using the hunting VLDs. The 168 VLDs from my 300 WSM Ruger carbine (mighty mouse), in the low 2900s (not the max loadings), have accounted for 18 hogs ranging from 175 lbs to well over 400 lbs at 80 to 243 yards. Only 3 of the 18 ran no more than 10 yards before dropping. Their vitals were for the most part,,,,,,mush!!! All were one shot kills! Same one shot result using a 190 VLD on a big bull elk thru the right shoulder bone last Nov at 328 yards. Staggered two to four yards and down he went!!!

A handier Ruger 260 Remy and using the VLDs??? A great game stopping combo there my friend!!!

PS; I hope that your new barrel`s length is no more than 20"...Otherwise, the rifle OAL approaches full sized territory.

Mike, I can't wait to hear of your results with this rifle. I would like to get my daughter a 260 for her first rifle. I think it will be very gentle and have plenty of performance for her. Good luck with it. Scotty

Well, to take the game I want and have a all around bullet I need a Partition. If I can get the 100gr Patition over 3300fps with accuracy or the 125gr Partition over 3000fps and with accuracy, which ever one does the above I will go with. The Partition is a killer with it's none bonded front part and the Partition protected two thirds of the back part of the bullet make it and all around killer on game for the 260 Rem or for that matter any cartridge.

IMG_9253.jpg

IMG_9249.jpg

The Partition is more than the standard which I agree it is, because the front part of that bullet opens up a 1800fps and the last 2/3rds allows it to be driven at unlimited speeds and it continues to do it's job. No other bullet is quit like it. Some do some things better and some do other things better but none of them do all the Partition does, that is why I know (even though I toy and use other bullets) it is the all around bullet I need to use so I can just use one bullet in the field and know it will work on all my situations within my hunting and shooting abilities.

65-06Berger.jpg

I shot the 130 gr VLD 130 gr from my 6.5-'06 on a Wyoming antelope hunt. These bullets hit hard, at least they did for me on speed goats. Accurate too with MRP but I didn't chrono the load.

jim

Back