Dad's 700.

Good ending to a sad story. I'm right there with you. I bought my LH Model 700 over 40 years ago and it is still one of my most accurate rifles and my favorite. And yours is a fine looker too.

Wasn't my dad's rifle, but I did manage to inherit my grandpa's rifle when he passed in February 2023. My dad worked a ton when i was growing up and we hunted when we could but grandpa was admittedly the hunter in the family and killed far more than his share of deer, squirrels, and rabbits. He was the one that taught me the most about hunting and I would look forward to spending the last week of deer season in VA with him every year.

We ran dogs outside Williamsburg and he carried a multitude of shotguns over the years but the only rifle he ever deer hunted with was a Remington 700 ADL in 30-06. You would likely need a couple semi trailers to haul the number of deer it killed since the late 60's/early 70's. So, when he passed my dad, uncle, and I were getting the guns out of the house and I asked if there was any objections to me getting the 700. My uncle looked and me and said, I was hoping you would ask for it so your dad and I have comfort that it'll stay in the family and get used to keep his memory going.

The only change I made was to replace the rings/bases with Warne Steel rings and bases and put a VX3 3.5-10x40 on it. She sure is pretty and shoots pretty good. At least with factory ammo. I did some searching and found that she was made in October 1967. I had a pretty poor deer season so she didn't get much time in the field, but she will tag along a little more next year and I'll be sure to make grandpa proud by keeping the old girl in service.
IMG_4370.jpeg

IMG_4787.jpeg

Family guns are a real treasure. We can carry along the memories of family not just in our hearts and minds but with what they used as well. Enjoy it tremendously. Dan.

Back