Dads hunting maps....reminissing

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
Recently I had a chance to get together with my cousin and reminisce about one of our hunting trips together as kids 40 years ago. The conversation revolved around a copy of a sportsmans atlas that I have kept since 1980. It is basically a plot map broken down by county that showed all the Federal, state and other public land reserved for game production and hunting. Better though, is a copy of a county map for Hand Co. SD that included what we assume are my Dads hunting notes, marking likely areas around the Rose Hill recreation area where there is some public land. Additionally, are names and phone numbers of potential land owners. I assume that the notes/ numbers on the back were from county extension agent. where Im guessing Dad also got the map. Pretty cool stuff! The pic is of Dad with a nicer than average white tail (for the time) taken in that area in the early 80's. A pic of Dad taking a break with some hunting buddies quite a few years earlier......Yes, I still have the hat. CL

Attachments

• 1.2.18 092.JPG
    1.2.18 092.JPG
    373.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Hand Co. map1.JPG
    Hand Co. map1.JPG
    580 KB · Views: 34
  • Hand Co. map2.JPG
    Hand Co. map2.JPG
    302 KB · Views: 32
  • Deer-taking a break.JPG
    Deer-taking a break.JPG
    382.6 KB · Views: 33
Troy,
That's as good as it gets! Funny how you remember certain things, one of my fondest memories of my Dad that I will never forget; was because he always got up first, at our Lodge: He would have the coffee on and bacon 🥓 frying on the grill every morning, when you came down. I can still see him standing there with a tea towel over his shoulder, ready to cook breakfasts. He liked to have hot biscuits most mornings with gravy! No one ever lost weight around hunting camp.
You only get one Troy, and it sounds like your Dad was a dandy; Tnx for sharing those old memories.
E

Pretty neat! And yes, that buck is a good one in my view. Then or now. Thanks for the pictures and background.

Very cool! I had a similar experience digging through my dad’s stuff this past fall. Back in the late 60’s and early 70’s my dad ran a fishing charter on Keweenaw Bay in Lake Superior back when the fishing was simply amazing. As a former Navy vet he loved being on the water and was very good at map reading and depth charts. I happened to stumble upon a set of maps of Lake Superior, Keweenaw Bay and, Isle Royale that he used for fishing. Best part is that there is some of his handwriting on them with his old secret spots marked. I plan on framing them and putting them up in my future retirement cabin in the UP.

Very cool! I had a similar experience digging through my dad’s stuff this past fall. Back in the late 60’s and early 70’s my dad ran a fishing charter on Keweenaw Bay in Lake Superior back when the fishing was simply amazing. As a former Navy vet he loved being on the water and was very good at map reading and depth charts. I happened to stumble upon a set of maps of Lake Superior, Keweenaw Bay and, Isle Royale that he used for fishing. Best part is that there is some of his handwriting on them with his old secret spots marked. I plan on framing them and putting them up in my future retirement cabin in the UP.
Yup - Dads notes are the best part. Had I a Den or a "man cave" other than the garage, I would frame this too. CL

Just dawned on me.... Ten years ago today, Dad went home to his Lord. Shot his 7Mag (poorly) a couple weeks ago in remembrance. Weird I suppose. Split cases on three of the five rounds I shot. Dad was SO scotch....brass wasnt "done" until It was "done". :) CL

Attachments

• 7MAG splits 7.2.23.jpg
    7MAG splits 7.2.23.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 7
Back