Day at the bench...odds and ends and a trimmer.

A

Anonymous

I spent a good portion of the day at the bench tidying up some odds and ends.

Made a pile of 6.5CM until the H4350 ran out getting ready for the long range steel shooting I have planned with some friend later in the summer. Last year we shot for 3 days and I burned through several hundred rounds.

I also helped a buddy out. He drew a sheep tag and was looking for some practice ammo to get him in shape for the fall. He had nearly 200 once fired cases and I had a pile of H4895 and a bunch of 150gr Interlocks I got for the cost of shipping a couple of years ago. Several hours later, I had a bunch of practice rounds made up for him for next to nothing.

An afternoon trimming .270WIN brass has convinced me I need a power trimmer. The Cam Lock I've got is fine for dozen or so, here and there. But when you have hundreds of cases to trim...it's just too slow.

Has anyone sprung for the new Lyman unit? It looks pretty sweet and easier to set up than the large Hornady power trimmer.

At any rate, a very enjoyable day at the bench.

I converted my RCBS Trimmer by taking the handle off and usng a cordless drill chucked up to the shaft. Variable speed - SLOW and whala - power trimmer. Makes that step go much smoother and faster. You don't want to spin the cutter at hi speed and create heat. I've not used the Cam Lock so I don't know if you can remove the handle and attach a drill.

Teknys":hwlho9j7 said:
I converted my RCBS Trimmer by taking the handle off and usng a cordless drill chucked up to the shaft. Variable speed - SLOW and whala - power trimmer. Makes that step go much smoother and faster. You don't want to spin the cutter at hi speed and create heat. I've not used the Cam Lock so I don't know if you can remove the handle and attach a drill.

I have done the same until I got the Giraud.

I use the cam lock trimmer with the power adapter. I never do more than about 50 cases at a time though. I saw some new Lyman that looks pretty sweet. Maybe the one you are talking about

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I have the Lyman one you are asking about. If you are doing 20-30 cases it's great. If you are doing 50 or more look into getting the Frankfort arsenal case prep center with built in case trimmer.

No experience with the Lyman unit.

I use the Frankford Arsenal prep center with trimmer for plinking / semi-auto rifles. I use a Wilson trimmer for my hunting loads. The Frankford is okay, could use a sharper cutter though. The Wilson could be motorized; but when doing a few hundred military 30-06 cases, the motorized stations on the Frankford really shine for deburring and decrimping.

Since I've been using the Frankford Arsenal Trim and Prep Center,going back to the old way of case prep would be like trying to build a fire by rubbing two sticks together.

I just spent an hour tonight with the FA unit taking the crimp out of some Wolf brass and squaring the pockets. I can only do so many of those small cases before my hands can't take it anymore. I have a dillon swedge unit but I like to feel the case for my bolt action rifles. Couldn't imagine going back to a power drill and handling the cases twice as much.

I put an RCBS carbide cutter in the unit the day I bought it, it's accurate and quick.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back