Dillon 550 primer feed question

Nimrod84

Handloader
Feb 20, 2017
Hi guys,

As I've waded into pistol loading, I recently purchased the automatic primer feed system for my roughly 18 year old Dillon 550B. I've not run any primers through the primer system - so this more of a please educate me request rather than a specific cry for help... Dillon customer service is pretty good, but I would rather not bug them when they are backlogged with actual issues.

On installing the primer system last night I found that I'm getting a bit of chatter when the ram roller hits the upper bend in op-rod though the rest of the ram stroke (ram moving up - their is less chatter on the down stroke). The chatter seems to be specific to right side of the primer slides - verified by moving the slide by hand independent of the ram and wear marks on the right side and on the top of the slide immediately right of the cup.

The primer housing looks to have a couple of high spots on the right side that would account for the wear on the slide, but I didn't notice anything that would wear on the top of the slide.

So my request for education is: Does anyone know what I should check before running some primers though the system? If you've experienced this situation, did it cause actual problems? What did you do to resolve it - file down the high spots on the housing, pickup an aftermarket slide plate, adjust the return spring angle, adjust the screw tension or let everything wear in with usage?

I'm thinking an aftermarket slide plate (https://www.ebay.com/p/1785082951) might be a good way of heading off issues before they rear their head; but their is wisdom in many counselors and I have no experience with the primer system.

Thank you.

Lube issue?

When mine gets sticky I clean it up good then lube it sparingly with LPS1. I suspect a little dry graphite like the stuff we lube necks with would also work.

Thank you gbflyer, but no change.

Had greased the op-rod hole, and silicon sprayed the slide plate when installing the primer feed. Added dry lubricant to the the primer slide tonight. Any other places that should be lubed?

Reads to me like you have covered lubrication then. I suspect my next step would be the call to customer service. I hear ya on not wanting to bother them but it might be time anyway. Sorry it’s giving you problems. I’ve had one since the late 1980’s. I lost a bunch of parts for it when I moved to Alaska, the folks at Dillon were helpful getting me all the replacements.

Appreciate the responses gbflyer.

I'll contact customer service once I confirm a functional problem. The chatter is very out of place as the machine has been silky smooth. I'm pretty sure it will have an affect on the operation of the machine - unless the primer feed simply needs a break in.

Given that the primer feed system is new to me, I don't know how the chatter will manifest itself in the operation of the machine or finished product. I'm thinking of things like: double primers being feed, excessive wear and tear on the primer slide (excessive tweaking needed over time), powder leakage, inconsistent case sizing, etc.

Back