Dinner Tonight (Ribs, Elotè Dip, Armadillo Eggs, Roasted Veggies

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
Dinner tonight was ribs with a molasses sauce, armadillo eggs, roasted veggies (if the Traeger is fired, these are a must), and elotè dip. The day started at -27 C (-16 F), but warmed up to -11 C (16 F) by the time I finished. Delectable meal, though the trips outside did frost me a bit. I'll get up a few pictures and see if it whets any appetites.

Arranged left to right: roasted veggies (potatoes, beets, celery, carrots sprinkled with extra virgin olive oil and kosher salt), elote dip, armadillo eggs, pork ribs prepared in molasses sauce. The ribs were falling off the bone. While they don't look as attractive as I wished to make them, they were sure tasty.

Meal 2022 02 21 1.jpg

Meal 2022 02 21 2.jpg

Meal 2022 02 21 3.jpg

Meal 2022 02 21 4.jpg

Oh my Mike, that looks amazing!
A meal fit for a king.

JD338

And it was excellent. Our guest was a dear friend who happens to be one of the best taxidermists in this part of the country. He produces some excellent work. He is certainly no slouch when it comes to hunting as well, having lived here all his life. I believe he has taken a major example of about every species of game available in this region, more recently focusing on taking game with his compound bow. He is a fascinating fellow to speak with. Yes, the meal was great, and the company enhanced what was prepared. I had two Traegers going simultaneously despite the cold weather.

Thank you Jim. I didn't start cooking until about age 45 when my wife went back to school for additional training. Can't say that my children were enthusiastic at my first efforts. However, things improved with practise.

Dr. might I ask the fixins for the armadillo eggs? I cooked some jalapeno pepper stuffed with boudin wrapped in mesquite smoked bacon and cooked on a mesquite fire.

Dr. might I ask the fixins for the armadillo eggs? I cooked some jalapeno pepper stuffed with boudin wrapped in mesquite smoked bacon and cooked on a mesquite fire.
Jalapeno wrapped with apple-wood smoked bacon. (No mesquite smoked bacon available up here, and I'm not prepared to make my own). The jalapenos were cored and most of the seeds removed. For those who like a little heat, leave whatever spines and/or seeds you want. The filling was cream cheese mixed with aged cheddar cheese, pepper jack cheese, grated parmesan cheese, finely chopped white onion, green onions, cilantro, and seasoned with Tajin, chipotle pepper, and garlic powder. This was all smoked over hickory wood.

Back