Do I need a Kimber .257 Bob???

I have a 725 Rem. rebarrled to 257 Roberts and have killed any and everything I have shot at with it.
Easy to reload for and very mild recoil. Mine will hold 3/8" groups 5 shots 100yds with no problem. I have also loaded 75gr Hornaday HPs to 4000fps for long range varmits.
Couldn't ask for a sweeter shooting caliber and if you want more have your gun smith open her up to 257AI and you'll exceed 25-06 velocities and still be able to shoot factory ammo in it.

While the .257 Roberts has been a topic with us rifle aficionados for decades it never really caught on and is pretty much obsolete. You won't find ammo easily for it in stores.

None of the 57mm cartridges have been all that popular because they don't fit the actions made today. The Kimber 84M is a short action cartridge and your not going to have much fun or flexibility with that short magazine and throat.

I really like the Kimber rifles otherwise.

A reason the 257 R. never caught on is that it's bullets are kind of big ricochet wise for varmints and kind of small for big game.

I am now hunting in more open land and if I shoot a deer at say 280 yards I don't want it to go far and loose it on that other property. I want a bullet that will hammer it and the little Roberts is not it.

That's why it's obsolete.

Savage99":19tkwpag said:
While the .257 Roberts has been a topic with us rifle aficionados for decades it never really caught on and is pretty much obsolete. You won't find ammo easily for it in stores.

None of the 57mm cartridges have been all that popular because they don't fit the actions made today. The Kimber 84M is a short action cartridge and your not going to have much fun or flexibility with that short magazine and throat.

A reason the 257 R. never caught on is that it's bullets are kind of big ricochet wise for varmints and kind of small for big game.

I am now hunting in more open land and if I shoot a deer at say 280 yards I don't want it to go far and loose it on that other property. I want a bullet that will hammer it and the little Roberts is not it.

OH MERCY......!?!!?? :roll: :| We all got belly buttons.... CL

Idahotrophyhunter":2cwlz2t0 said:
My light rifle that I use for Deer and Antelope and also that my wife uses is a custom 270 shooting 130 noslers.

I have been recently intrigued about possibly purchasing a kimber in .257 Bob. Never owned the cartridge and don't know much about it. Would it do a good job as the Deer/Antelope rifle for Idaho muleys and speed goats? What about a possible sheep cartridge.

I really love the rifle it's in , just need to be sold on the cartridge...SELL ME!!!

I would say you need it bad. :wink:
I too have been looking at this cartridge for many years. It does deliver impressive ballistics. It´s a caliber that has been ignored by many who either went for a .243Win or 6,5Swedish.

Savage99":1uni071r said:

I don't know how you would get ricochets from a bullet traveling at upwards to 4000fps with 75gr. Hps.
I used this caliber for ground hogs in central Md. and have missed them because the bullet would explode on contact with alfalfa. Ground hogs looked like they swollowed a granade when hit. As far as Deer go I have yet to have one run after being hit.
If I could have only one rifle in any caliber I could choose to hunt varmits and deer it would be the 257 Roberts.

I guarantee that if you load up to modern pressures shoot a deer at 280 yards with the 110 AccuBond at 3100 fps muzzle velocity with the .257 Roberts that you will kill that deer, if you can shoot well enough to hit it right!

Oldtrader3":20npxare said:
I guarantee that if you load up to modern pressures shoot a deer at 280 yards with the 110 AccuBond at 3100 fps muzzle velocity with the .257 Roberts that you will kill that deer, if you can shoot well enough to hit it right!

Precisely!

I have used 85 grain bullets for varmits in the .257 Roberts, specifically prairie poodles, out to 500 yards and have had nothing but success doing it. The 85 grain bullets do not ricochet at 3395 fps and blew up prairie poodles with boring regularity.

Even the old load that I used 30 years ago, still kills deer very well at 3000 fps with the 100 grain Partition. Of course now, I can increase that load to 3100+ fps and get much better accuracy and performance.

I have never had any issues with the .257 Roberts killing game, just getting the optimal performance with modern pressures.

I've used the 243 with 95 BTs and smoked quite a few deer. Some moved about 20-30 yards but most never made another mark. The 257 is just more of a good thing.

Well the question was, "Do I need a Kimber .257 Bob?"

Tha answer is, "Of course you do." :lol:
Paul B.

The 110 gr AB works well on both coyotes and deer.
This one was shot at 140 yds.
Picture060.jpg

JD338

That is the exit wound in the pocket. Ran about 30 yds.

JD338

truck driver":tiw6fky7 said:
Savage99":tiw6fky7 said:

I don't know how you would get ricochets from a bullet traveling at upwards to 4000fps with 75gr. Hps.
I used this caliber for ground hogs in central Md. and have missed them because the bullet would explode on contact with alfalfa. Ground hogs looked like they swollowed a granade when hit. As far as Deer go I have yet to have one run after being hit.
If I could have only one rifle in any caliber I could choose to hunt varmits and deer it would be the 257 Roberts.

How can the 257 Roberts get "upwards of 4000 fps" from a 75 gr bullet when Hornady's #9 manual shows a maximum velocity of 3500 fps?

I would have to pass up too many shots with the 257 Roberts. It just does not have the power of regular cartridges for killing power, penetration, wind drift or trajectory.

However it's a rifle cartridge and if the shots are not that far and difficult ones are passed up then it would work. It does blast chucks! Too bad the chucks are gone.

Back