Do I need anything else? - Itch Scratched!

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
I have the gun buying itch real bad but am having trouble justifying buying something. The selection of left-handed rifles available are few and the ones I desire the most (LH M70) are very rare and priced very high.

For big game hunting I currently have:
- LH M700 in .270 Win.
- LH Montana Rifle Company in 300 WSM
- LH Win. M70 in 7mmRM
- Marlin 1895 MXLR in 450 Marlin

For western hunting of elk, mule deer, whitetail deer, and antelope do I really NEED anything more? I hear 300 Win Mag's and 338 Win Mag's calling my name but I am trying to ignore them...

Dan

How dead were the animals so far?
How much 'deader' would they be with the new rifle?

I know - reason and itches...

If you need an excuse: yes, you definitely need a new gun. More than one actually.
If asked why - just say Frank said so and I will take the blame willingly.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

Maybe something like a 358 Norma or similar Dan? I know the 35's aren't exactly the most aero bullet you can shoot, but they do work nicely on larger animals. Pretty easy rebore or rebarrel job on any mag bolt faced 700...

PS. I have a pretty nice M700 7 Rem Mag Left Handed BDL in my safe if you know of any lefties that would benefit from it. I got it for my brother and a Ruger M77 LH at the same time. He ended up picking the Ruger over the 700.

Lefties don't usually have problems with lever guns. How about a Henry 45-70 if you want a big bore, or one of the Long Rangers if you want something a little faster?

Hard to beat the Tikka lineup. Several in lefty are available. Unless you already have components for a new caliber, might be all you get to do is look at it though[emoji1]

Scotty and Brian hit my suggestions.

35 whelan or 358 lever, 45/70 lever.

I’d skip the 300 WM unless you’re going to dump the 300WSM. The WSM is a really efficient cartridge.

The 338 calls the siren’s song to me as well. I got the 45/70 instead the first time... I refer to it as the pumpkin chucker as it tosses a pretty decent sided projectile.

The 35 Whelan calls to me as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Scotty has your best deal available and will give you the long range caliber you might want.
But to be honest I do like my medium bore 35Whelen Ackely Improved and the 338 Win mag for the bigger heavy animals.

Scotty's left hand M700 7mag could easily be rebarreled or used as is, easy on the shoulder and flat shooting. I carried one for a back up for Elk.

The 300 Win is like the 30-06 and is a do all universal cartridge which can be found in any sporting goods store you walk into if you need ammo. Load it up with heavy bullets for long range hunting or load it down for varmint hunting or smaller game with light loads of powder to equal a 30-06.
Lots to think about, it's your decision.

Need? No! Can you justify other cartridges? Of course! Good suggestions have been made, but none will kill any deader than the cartridges you now have. Some may have greater reach. Some may have some other factor that leads you to seriously consider them. In the final analysis, the issue becomes what you want and what you can justify in your own mind. Delightful problem.

DrMike":36pd8cy6 said:
Need? No! Can you justify other cartridges? Of course! Good suggestions have been made, but none will kill any deader than the cartridges you now have. Some may have greater reach. Some may have some other factor that leads you to seriously consider them. In the final analysis, the issue becomes what you want and what you can justify in your own mind. Delightful problem.

Well said!

NYDAN":bme10ijh said:
I have the gun buying itch real bad but am having trouble justifying buying something. The selection of left-handed rifles available are few and the ones I desire the most (LH M70) are very rare and priced very high.

For big game hunting I currently have:
- LH M700 in .270 Win.
- LH Montana Rifle Company in 300 WSM
- LH Win. M70 in 7mmRM

For western hunting of elk, mule deer, whitetail deer, and antelope do I really NEED anything more? I hear 300 Win Mag's and 338 Win Mag's calling my name but I am trying to ignore them...

Dan

No you're good. Any small game guns?

Can't say I am free of the virus.
A few hundred rounds from now I will rebarrel my Tikka varmint which is currently a 30-06.
No issues ever. Got me triple digits of game.

Still I am unsure what it will be.
At first I leaned to the 308.
It is enough for my hunting.
But I have a Creedmoor - so why going lower?

We don't have many wildcats in Germany, but one guy developed a 7,62x57.
Data with short barrel and suppressor looks good.

Does it make sense?
No. Not at all.

Is it cool? Heck, YES!
So it will probably be one of those.
A small company makes brass, otherwise easily formed from 7x57.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

SJB358":5plq1lae said:
I think Dan already has a 450 Marlin, so he is well heeled there!

Yes, Scotty caught my error. I have four big game rifles. I corrected my original post. Thank you.

Dan

truck driver":2dim8sad said:
I think Scotty has your best deal available and will give you the long range caliber you might want.
But to be honest I do like my medium bore 35Whelen Ackely Improved and the 338 Win mag for the bigger heavy animals.

Scotty's left hand M700 7mag could easily be rebarreled or used as is, easy on the shoulder and flat shooting. I carried one for a back up for Elk.

The 300 Win is like the 30-06 and is a do all universal cartridge which can be found in any sporting goods store you walk into if you need ammo. Load it up with heavy bullets for long range hunting or load it down for varmint hunting or smaller game with light loads of powder to equal a 30-06.

Rodger, how is the recoil with the 338 WM? How is the recoil with the 35 Whelen and 35 WAI?

Dan

Dan,
You are well situated with the current rifles you have. A 223, 22-250, 243 Win or a 6.5 Creedmoor/6.5-284 might fill the gap on the lower end.
Scotty offers a great solution to build up a custom rifle. Keep in mind it's a 7 Mag so the bolt face is larger than standard size cases. You can buy a new bolt or go with a magnum case like a 240 Weatherby, 257 Weatherby or 264 Win Mag. Any of those would be flat liners for deer and/or out west hunting.

JD338

FOTIS":w9fcnha7 said:
No you're good. Any small game guns?

I have a right handed M700 in 22-250 but that is promised to a young protégé. Are there uses for varmint rifles in the western states? Dan

You better pick up a 223 and start loading.......

Prairie dog heaven! At least a 17 HMR!

NYDAN":ay800qnk said:
truck driver":ay800qnk said:

Rodger, how is the recoil with the 338 WM? How is the recoil with the 35 Whelen and 35 WAI?

Dan
Gee Dan that's hard to explain since I'm not recoil sensitive but I will try.
First I'll say all three require a good recoil pad but non require a muzzle brake.
I have all the 338 WM and the 35 WAI are in Bell & Carlson stocks with their metal action block which adds weight and helps to control the recoil and have Pachmyer recoil pads. The only one that hurt me was the 35 Whelen with the hard factory pad which I replaced after one shot, it was also the lightest of the three.
The 35 WAI and the 338 Wm are just about the same power wise but the 338 Wm has the advantage of being more aerodynamic and will reach a little farther plus you can buy the shells over the counter but in a pinch you can buy 35 Whelen and shoot it in the WAI chamber since that's how you make the WAI brass by fire forming.

If I remember right you live just above Corning NY which is about 6-8hrs drive form me.
I could bring the 338 Wm and the 35 WAI up and let you shoot them with my loads one weekend or even threw the week since I'm retired.
Is there anyplace close by I could stay?

dun dun dun , and the arm twisting begins .

a Grice gun shop employee told me , need has very little to do with most items carried out of here .

jimbires":zwj0zz3m said:
dun dun dun , and the arm twisting begins .

a Grice gun shop employee told me , need has very little to do with most items carried out of here .

Man, if that isn’t a true statement.

Back