Do I need anything else? - Itch Scratched!

358 norma mag seems very interesting. I also would not mind a 375 ruger either.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Well, I told myself that I was listening to all of your suggestions and I was talking about shooting Truck Drivers 338 Win. Mag. and 35 Whelen. I told myself I was seriously considering both the 300 Win. Mag. and the 338 Win. Mag. I believed I was keeping my options open.

Then all of a sudden, I realized that yesterday I purchased some 30 caliber bullets and 300 Win. Mag. ammo. This morning I ordered some 300 Win. Mag. brass and was then looking for 300 Win. Mag. reloading dies to order. As I was looking for the reloading dies I realized my inner self had already made up it's mind. So, 300 Win. Mag. it is! Decision made! :grin:

Dan

Dan,
Excellent choice! Are you going to build the rifle?

JD338

Well, you didn’t pick a bad one in my book.

Time to get that barrel on order Dan!

Who are you thinking of doing the smith work?

With a lengthened 3.6” box you give up absolutely 0 to the newer PRC/Nosler and you’ll be able
To reap Lapua or ADG cases as well.

That’s great. I’ve got so many questions for you!

Can’t wait to see what you come up with.

He certainly has produced some attractive pieces of work. Should be fascinating to see what the final work is on your rifle. We're all pulling for you, Dan.

Dan,
Your local gunsmith sure does some beautiful work.
What make and contour barrel are you thinking of? Action? Target weight of completed rifle?

JD338

JD338":3btadco4 said:
Dan,
Your local gunsmith sure does some beautiful work.
What make and contour barrel are you thinking of? Action? Target weight of completed rifle?
JD338

Jim, we are waiting for the rifle to arrive and so far haven't gotten too far into details beyond making a good shooter. I will rely heavily on his experience and advise.

We will be starting with a left-handed Win. M70 in 7mmRM in excellent, like new condition. I will have two of these. Since the stocks are like new we will probably keep the original stock. He has already worked on one. Since it is a USRA New Haven, CT built rifle he will start with the same work he did on the first one: tuning the trigger, pillar & glass bedding the action, and free floating the barrel. Then we will shoot the most recent purchase. At that point we will decide which of the two rifles we will convert to 300 WM, depending on barrel condition, accuracy, and evidence of the need for blueprinting.

Having selected which rifle to work on, he will blue print the action, install a new barrel, and final bed the barreled action.

Without discussing this yet with Joe, I am thinking of a SS Bartlein barrel with 5R rifling and a medium sporter contour barrel. However, I want to hear his opinion before making a final decision.

Finally, there is the question of engraving. Just a little something to make the rifle unique would be nice. Maybe an elk on the floor plate???? Maybe a little scrolling on the receiver??? My pockets are NOT deep enough for anything very fancy. I might just give him an engraving budget and say "surprise me".

Dan

For 300 magnums I’m usually of the mind to use a 2 contour barrel, cut the shank as short as possible and get the muzzle down to about a .600”. This usually results in a fairly lively feeling rifle. I’m a twist junky so it’d be an 8 twist without a doubt.

I’d definitely stick with a SAAMI chamber but have the magazine opened up to accept 3.6” rounds. Depending on stock and bottom metal you should be able to get into the 8 1/2 pound, scoped weight range.

If you wanted it lighter some weight savings can happen with fluting then bolt.

Also, bushing the firing pin is money well spent while the smith has it. Perfect primer strikes and no weird pressure readings if that is done.

Dan,
I like the approach you are taking. A Bartlein barrel would be an excellent choice as well as getting the action blueprinted and pillar bedded. Like Scotty mentioned, get the barrel ordered as soon as possible, it's the gating component of your build.
It's going to be an awesome rifle.

JD338

Back