Do I "need" them both?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Recently came across a couple of good deals on two lightly used Win Model 70 hunting rifles and bought 'em both. I like both rifles, but am starting to wonder if I really "need" them both, selling either one would free up cash for reloading, hunting trips or whatever...

I'm mostly a mule deer hunter, sometimes I go for elk or wander around chasing black bears, pretending that someday I'll shoot one. :grin: Here's what I bought:

First I came across a Model 70 "stainless classic" in 7mm Rem mag, complete with the ugly, but comfortable and durable synthetic stock. This thing has the controlled round feed that I like so much, as well as a slim 26" sporter weight barrel. Nice, no-frills hunting rifle chambered in a cartridge that I like very much, and which has given me great success on deer and elk. Topped it with a nice fixed power 6x (42mm obj) Leupold. I see this one as a true all-weather, hard use, general purpose hunting rifle.

I'd only had that rifle a week or so when a friend decided to sell his Win 70 "coyote" in .300 WSM. This is a rifle I've seen in action out to 600 yards and it is known to be quite accurate. It's more of a long-range rifle, with a push-feed action, a good looking laminated wood stock, and a free-floated, somewhat heavier contour stainless barrel. The rifle had been set up with a very nice Badger +20 MOA scope base and a very crisp Jewell trigger. It came with 300 pieces of Norma brass and match grade loading dies. Am waiting on scope rings for it, but will top it with either a 4.5-14 or even a 6.5-20x Leupold. I see this one as more of a long-range rifle, capable of taking my "wheatfield mulies" out at 600 yards.

My favorite 7mm mag load is a 175 at about 2900 fps.

It looks like this .300 WSM will put a 180 out at about 2950 - 3000 fps.

So, just for fun, your input please! Are they different enough that I can justify keeping them both? Or are they close enough to the same that I really ought to sell one? :grin:

Running out of space in the gun safe! Regards, Guy

Which one are you most likely to use more based on the type of hunting or shooting you do?

Do you hump up Mountains for elk-----7 mag

Do you sit on top of hills and not move and wait for game to show up?---either but 300 is more stable

How many rifles of each type do you already have?

Guy,

Pop has some good questions. If recall, don't you already have a 7mmRM? If so, I would sell one of them. If no, keep them both.
There are just enough differences to "justify" both. :grin:

You could also use one for a project gun or trade for something else. You have lots of options. :grin:

Ya know, asking these kinds of questions to a bunch of gun nuts like us is only going to get us all into trouble. :wink:

I think it is a good combo and would be keeping both. Usage is different enough to 'justify' - even though just wanted them is enough.

I have the same stainless/synthetic 7 Mag and there is no way I would be getting rid of it - a great all round/all weather hunting rifle.

Guy,
Here is my two cents. You can never ever have to many rifles! :grin: But I do understand you dilemma. Keep the caliber rifle that you do not have already.
Shane

keep the 300 WSM for long range stand hunting and drop the 7mm into a lightweight kevlar stock and use it for a mountain rifle. Or rebarrel the 7mm into something more fun. 338 RUM, 358 norma, or 458 Lott all come to mind. My winchester classic is becoming a 458 Lott as we speak. Great action.

Surprised no one else thought of this:

Just buy another and or bigger safe and keep them both.:wink:

Great input guys - and by now, both rifles have found a home here. The 7mm stainless classic will become a general-purpose, all-weather hunter, while the heavier, better looking .300 WSM Coyote will get more scope and become my longer range wheatfield rifle.

There's just enough room in the safe to squeeze 'em in, carefully! :grin:

Guy Miner":kr67gwkp said:
Great input guys - and by now, both rifles have found a home here. The 7mm stainless classic will become a general-purpose, all-weather hunter, while the heavier, better looking .300 WSM Coyote will get more scope and become my longer range wheatfield rifle.

There's just enough room in the safe to squeeze 'em in, carefully! :grin:

Get a bigger toy box. :lol:

JD338

Back