Downloading the 30-06

Sgt H

Beginner
Nov 15, 2018
My favorite hunting rifle is a pre 64 M70 feather weight in 30-06 (built in 1955). I purchased this rifle about 15 years ago as I did not own any M70's and felt everyone should own at least one "rifleman's rifle". It is also one of the most accurate light sporters I have owned. It consistently puts its preferred loads into less than 1" at 100yds for 3 shot groups. In recent years age and arthritis has made full power loads quite uncomfortable during range sessions. The rifle still wears its original aluminum buttplate. The rifle has accounted for a couple of elk, numerous deer and coyotes with its preferred load of 57gr IMR 4350 under 165gr bullets. I only hunt deer now on our property where a long shot is 150yds. As such I have taken to downloading to continue using this rifle. Have been loading 125BT's to about 2800 and 150's to about 2700. Reduction in felt recoil is dramatic and these loads have proven very effective on whitetails and coyotes. Now what to do with the 30 cal ammo can full of full power 165's.

"Now what to do with the 30 cal ammo can full of full power 165's."

Well, you could always send them to me. :lol: Seriously invest in a bullet puller, salvage the bullets, powder and primer and reload them to a lower power level. Don't forget to size the necks back down so they'll hold the bullet like they should. If you use the FL die, remove the decapping pin so you don't lose the primers.
Paul B.

Personally I would consider a Pachmayr slip on recoil pad. I have put one on my Ruger Number one in 30-06 which has the original hard rubber recoil pad on it. I perceive a significant improvement in felt recoil while preserving the original pad for the next owner to enjoy. The slight increase in length of pull may require an adjustment of scope alignment to restore a full field of view. Good luck, Rol

I'll second what Rol P said. A good recoil pad takes the bite right out of some pretty stout cartridges and loads. I happen to use a Limb Saver Air Tech slip on, and like it a lot.

I have a M70 in 06 that has a hard plastic butt plate. That rifle kicks on the bench and is one of the worst I own for putting the hurt on you, even with 150's. With the slip on I can shoot full power 180's off the bench until I decide to quit, without issue. They claim up to 70% reduction in felt recoil. I've no idea if that's close to accurate, but do know it's a BIG difference.

Re those full power 165's, you could pull the bullets, then load the cases with your 125's.

Someone here could probably use the 165's, it's a great bullet weight for the 30-06 or the 308 Win.

Guy

Sgt H":2zlmrj8t said:
My favorite hunting rifle is a pre 64 M70 feather weight in 30-06 (built in 1955). I purchased this rifle about 15 years ago as I did not own any M70's and felt everyone should own at least one "rifleman's rifle". It is also one of the most accurate light sporters I have owned. It consistently puts its preferred loads into less than 1" at 100yds for 3 shot groups. In recent years age and arthritis has made full power loads quite uncomfortable during range sessions. The rifle still wears its original aluminum buttplate. The rifle has accounted for a couple of elk, numerous deer and coyotes with its preferred load of 57gr IMR 4350 under 165gr bullets. I only hunt deer now on our property where a long shot is 150yds. As such I have taken to downloading to continue using this rifle. Have been loading 125BT's to about 2800 and 150's to about 2700. Reduction in felt recoil is dramatic and these loads have proven very effective on whitetails and coyotes. Now what to do with the 30 cal ammo can full of full power 165's.
Are you using H4895 or doing something else?

I love the 30-06!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sgt H,

My wife's favorite rife is a Pre-64 M70 carbine in 30Gov't'06.
I reload 150 NPTs for her rifle using H4895 to 2500 fps.
It will shoot them in to a 1" group at 100 yds.
Even with the steel butt plate,
she has no problem with this reduced recoil load.

May have to get one of those slip on limb saver recoil pads and see if I can tolerate the full power loads at the range. I generally only go to the range in moderate weather so no heavy jacket. I do hate the look of those slip on pads though. I do like the compliments I get from others at the range on this classic rifle. The bluing is almost 100%, checkering still sharp showing very little wear, the stock has been professionally refinished though. Many are very surprised by its accuracy often equaling their modern composite stocked, heavy barreled, mega scoped rifles. One of the last 3 shot groups if fired (with full power loads) from a cold clean barrel was 5/8", 57gr IMR4350, 165BT. The fellow in the lane next to me could not believe it and thought it had to be a fluke. He was shooting one of those modern rifles in a chassis type stock (ugly as sin IMO). I loaded 3 more and they went into 3/4". His modern super whizbang was not doing any better. Not bad for a 65 year old rifle with a 2X7 Leupold. BTW H4895 is what I am using for the reduced loads. Groups about 1-1.25" but I have not done any fine tuning with the loads. Pretty sure I can better it with some fine tuning. I also noticed much reduced muzzle blast with the reduced loads.

Another thought came to mind. Look into thePast recoil shield. I straps on kind of like a shoulder holster but goes a long way toward softening recoil. I use the magnum size when I shoot my Ruger #1 .416 Rigby which has that skimpy little red pad. That one still kicks quite hard but it's a bit more tolerable with the shield. (y)
Paul B.

PJGunner":30w8mgid said:
Another thought came to mind. Look into thePast recoil shield. It straps on kind of like a shoulder holster but goes a long way toward softening recoil.

Yeah, I'll second the PAST shoulder recoil shields.
I use the standard pad with my 458 Win Mag,
So should work very well for a 30-06.

Sgt H,

You gotten plenty of good suggestions. You can either reduce actual recoil with reduced loads, or reduce felt recoil with a good recoil pad. Neither way is wrong depending on what your looking for as the end result.

If you go the slip on recoil pad route, I agree, not the greatest looking. But it also doesn't have to be permanent. I just put it on for bench shooting that M 70. For hunting or in colder weather when I can have some heavier clothes on, the factory butt plate goes back on.

Eh. I would keep on shooting the low recoil loads, sounds like they are working great!

As for the ammo can of rounds you could drop it off here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PJGunner":1rupb6e8 said:
Another thought came to mind. Look into thePast recoil shield. I straps on kind of like a shoulder holster but goes a long way toward softening recoil.
Paul B.
I use this approach - particularly when bench shooting in warm weather. The pad helps duplicate wearing a warm hunting coat when hunting. It helps to get the correct eye relief for when you are wearing a winter coat. Also, it really works at reducing the felt effects of recoil. When shooting the 450 Marlin I open up the top seam of the pouch that holds the pad and add another layer of closed cell foam for even more cushioning.

Good luck with your reduced load efforts. Nothing is fun when it hurts.

I would turn them into brass with some quality offhand practice. You'll notice less recoil shooting in this position as your body absorbs and dissipates it more effectively.

I've been downloading the .30-06 and .308 for some time now. I joke that every .30 cal rifle I own is a .300 Savage. I'm pushing 150 cup and core bullets in the 2600-2700 range, and they're hammers on whitetail to reasonable distances.

Recently, during the shutdown when my range was closed for awhile, I felt like shooting some centerfire rifle. I can shoot in my yard, but try to keep the high power stuff on the down low out of respect for the neighborhood and in deference to my backstop which could use some work. I was loading the Speer 100 gr plinker over 13 grains of unique in both .308 and .30-06, basically turning my heavy .30cals into an M1 Carbine. WOW, were those fun to shoot.

RaySendero":1le8bblo said:
PJGunner":1le8bblo said:
Another thought came to mind. Look into thePast recoil shield. It straps on kind of like a shoulder holster but goes a long way toward softening recoil.

Yeah, I'll second the PAST shoulder recoil shields.
I use the standard pad with my 458 Win Mag,
So should work very well for a 30-06.

I use a limb saver shoulder pad and an old slip on Pachmyer together when shooting slugs off the bench. You could remove the factory pad to keep a similar LOP. I switched to a Limbsaver "airtech" some years ago. They a re good too, but I find them "sticky" and they snag on clothing. Solved that by wrapping partially in painters tape for hunting. looks bad, works good. CL

Oh = and imagine that, a 125gr about 2800 fps will kill a deer?!! Not far off from 250 Savage ballistics...just sayin' :) Sounds like a plan too me. Enjoy@ CL

Back