dupin' a factory load...

boolit

Handloader
Oct 21, 2010
Ok, I know you boys know how to dup a factory load... right?

I shot some Winchester Ballistic Silver Tip Ammo a couple of years ago. It shot 3-1/2 inches high centered, at 100 yards, 1/2 inch low 1/2 inch to the left at 300!!! MMMMMWWWWOW!! I have 130 grain Ballistic tips, Winchester Nickle palted brass..... Any idea what powder and what charge?

1st the cartridge you are using needs to be known..... :?

Factory loads change by the day. They use what ever powder is the cheapest that meets their needs for velocity/pressure and might use a ball powder today and extruded tomorrow.
Even if they buy a 2nd boxcar load of a specific powder the powder isn`t as consistent as the stuff we get for reloading and the factory will change it`s charge to met the new powders burn.
"IF" you are loading a 270 Win I`d suggest either H4831 or R22 in fairly copious amounts to try and match the factory ballistics.

I think that many of the manufactures use powder not available to us as reloaders. Nor will they tell you the load data. After a couple of discussions on this very topic I think the best method is to use a chrony and duplicate the velocity with a handload, and start with a poweder listed in the hamdbook as the most accurate or most used. Best that I can do!

"if" it is a 270 Win in the Supreme line, it may be the Supreme W780 powder. I think Pop said it was used in quite a few of the Supreme line of cartridges. Scotty

yea,I never have checked the Win. supreme line on the chrony for the .270. Did get a chrony reading last week on ww power points at 2930 from my 22 inch barrel with the 130 grainer. Supreme ammo could be faster, don,t know. If I wanted to duplicate 2930 it would not take copius amounts of powder. Boolit needs a chrony. That would remove the speculation. :wink: :wink:

beretzs":1y06a9ft said:
"if" it is a 270 Win in the Supreme line, it may be the Supreme W780 powder. I think Pop said it was used in quite a few of the Supreme line of cartridges. Scotty

Yes it was Supreme line...

Ol` Joe":1rh85ovu said:
1st the cartridge you are using needs to be known..... :?

Factory loads change by the day. They use what ever powder is the cheapest that meets their needs for velocity/pressure and might use a ball powder today and extruded tomorrow.
Even if they buy a 2nd boxcar load of a specific powder the powder isn`t as consistent as the stuff we get for reloading and the factory will change it`s charge to met the new powders burn.
"IF" you are loading a 270 Win I`d suggest either H4831 or R22 in fairly copious amounts to try and match the factory ballistics.

270 winchester....

Just got off the phone with Dave from Hodgdons... He said to use the Barnes TSX data for the Nosler Ballistic tip bullet. I have to go and pick up the W780 powder tommarrow at a local gun shop and W-primers too... I'm excited yall.... :mrgreen: I hope it works out. I only have 2 more weeks till opening day. This Load is a flatshooter!!!! :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:300 :mrgreen:

You can get that with RL22 and H4831 easily.
Standard powders in the 270. That is what I use in my boy's 270 win and we get close to 3100 fps with the 130 BT and excellent accuracy.

POP":2x58aqab said:
You can get that with RL22 and H4831 easily.
Standard powders in the 270. That is what I use in my boy's 270 win and we get close to 3100 fps with the 130 BT and excellent accuracy.

Does it shoot like I described Pop?

What is your boys load?

130 Ballistic tip with 58 gr of H4831 and Winchester primer. It clocks around 3080 fps and every group is 1/2" or better. We have not played with seating depth due to the fact that we thought it would be pointless for regular big game hunting.

My point is do not hang your hat on 780. It might be a little faster or slower than what Winchester is using. Heck regular commercial powders can have 5% variation in burning rate from lot to lot (even more) let alone from canister to commercial.

POP":rq9nyus3 said:
130 Ballistic tip with 58 gr of H4831 and Winchester primer. It clocks around 3080 fps and every group is 1/2" or better. We have not played with seating depth due to the fact that we thought it would be pointless for regular big game hunting.

My point is do not hang your hat on 780. It might be a little faster or slower than what Winchester is using. Heck regular commercial powders can have 5% variation in burning rate from lot to lot (even more) let alone from canister to commercial.

According to Winchester, I read on thier site, it's the powder they are using. I don't buy the lot to lot thing.

You never told me what your load did at 300 yards?

300? Under 2" consistently.

And yes there is always some variation from lot to lot. Ask Bruce Hodgdon.

POP":1j8ls39f said:
300? Under 2" consistently.

And yes there is always some variation from lot to lot. Ask Bruce Hodgdon.

variations that I don't notice.

Oh, BTW I didn't mention that the 300 yard shots were shot without holding over nor adjusted with the scope, the were zero from 100 yards. We'll see how it goes tommarrow at the range. I have used H4831, 60 grains and 130 Hornady interlock. It shot a litlle over a foot low at 300. :|

So you're sighted at 100 and there is no drop at 300 yards?

Or did I misunderstand?

Back