Dura Coat!

trays7940

Beginner
Feb 21, 2006
This is the 4th rifle I have done with the dura coat product. I have not had any problems with the product. I have coated wood as well as synthetic stocks...wish I ahd taken more pictures though. What do y'all think? :)

Picture004.jpg

Picture003.jpg

I found a couple of pics from the first one I did. I like the latest one the best though. I did one for a friend, it was in urban digital, it looked good also. :)

Picture002.jpg

Picture001.jpg

trays7940

Nicely done.
Professional looking results.

JD338

Looks great trays7940 ! Not sure why it wouldn't stick to the stock on my Tikka.Sanded it with 600 grit and degreased with Trustrip (thier brand),but it would just whipe off with my thumb. :?

Anyway yours looks really good,congrats ! 8)

Looks good. I have Duracoated about 10 guns and about 25-30 stocks so far and have no complaints with it.

SakoSteve, it sounds like your mixture was a little off. In the directions it says mix 1 parts to 4, but I have had better luck mixing 1 to 3. Sanding it and degreasing it should have worked. It also helps putting clear coat over it.

Let me know if you need any help-Tim

The longest part of the project, to me, is the masking. You have to see how it is going to look, in your head, and in vision it on the rifle. Anyway, it goes something like this. I sand the project and degrease it useing the dura coat degreaser. Then I mix 3-4 tablespoons of dura coat to 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of hardner(you get a shiny coat with more hardner). Then I spray everything black. I wait 24hours before my next coat. You can mask and paint after 2hrs but, I like making sure everything is dry. After the black coat I mask the, sticks, using dura coat patterns. I then spray a coat of green over everything and let it dry for 24hrs. Then tear strips of masking tape into irregular shapes and place them so as to make a 2 1/2 inch strip and place them about 5-6 inches apart the length of the rifle and spray my brown. Then tear strips to make your tan break up patterns, place these in any position but you don't want a lot of them. After drying spray with a clear coat,, let dry and reassemble. Clean up, I spray thinner through the spray gun and finish with some dura coat reducer. I have no big clean up problems- yet. Thats about it. Just take your time and have fun with it.

Back