Eastman's Hunting Journal bullet test

That is not even a good adjectival description! Eastman should use fullest or largest diameter opening, not slowest opening. That choice of words is what bothered me when reading the post, it was the syntax that was the issue. I do not get their magazine and had not read the article. I doubt that this criteria has anything to do with fastest or slowest but everything to do with widest, fullest, largest diameter, etc.

joelkdouglas":1aibvzl5 said:
Agreed! And I believe Eastman's means "slowest opening" as a compliment. The exact verbiage: "On the other end of the spectrum, the Nosler Partition was the slowest to expand, which is probably why so many hunters prefer them for crushing a shoulder bone."

Also, the difference between the "quickest opening" Nosler E-Tip distance to open of 0.71 inches and the "slowest opening" Nosler Partition distance to open of 1.18 inches is less than half an inch. Likely insignificant. But maybe it is indicative the Partition has a better chance of making it through the first layer of bone intact.

I guess it's all in how one sees things, glass half full or empty? I agree that in my way of thinking the "slowest to open" is a compliment to the Partition design. IMO slowest to open has nothing to do with the fullest or largest diameter opening but merely how deep it traveled in the media before opening. Just my .02

Bill

I think it is much better for a bullet to fully open up inside the vitals then to open up more on the outside, and maybe not even make it into the good stuff.

I have not seen the article, but from the information in this post think about it a bit

The soild bullets need a tip to make sure the bullet does open and it does so very fast, this is not new its what was found with the first b-tips. Next they expand with peddles with less total area not round musroms, and do not shed peices that inturn do their own damage. They pretty much hold their max expended dia to the end.

Now the Partition in elk sized bullets is designed to expand inside an elk not on the out side. They expand to full diameter and then continue to peel back to a lesser dia. As they do fragmints verie off and make their own wound channels. Now the bullet smaller as it is keeps penitrating making a long wound.

The AB can handle the fast on contact expantion because it is bonded it sheds weight peices verie off but lets say more controlled do to the bonding. And since it has one larger core it is left with a larger diameter.

Remember its the total area of the wound that matters. And I wonder if the smaller sub wound channels show up very well? Also its the perminent wound channel that matters and some media may not reveil it well.

With exception of the E-tip 180gr with a 300mag I would go with 200gr but all the Noslers would do terminal damage in a cerious way in an elk.

The article could have given an opinion, which from what I remember it did not. No idea of a general all round bullet or even type. Comparing the hornady sst to the AccuBond or Partition was almost an insult too. Lol.

-hardcorehunter5

Back