Edible Curiosities or Just Nasty??

nodak7mm

Handloader
Jan 19, 2008
Ok, here is the thread in which we can extoll our deviant culinary pleasures without fear of repriasal...

I love a tunafish sandwich with lotza onions, miracle whip, on toast.....................with honey on the toast...

I get a big craving for making a dip/sandwich spread out of; Bruanschwieger, finely chopped onions, miracle whip & a smattering of horseradish. Sardines work great too...

I have this obsession at Thanksgiving & Xmas type meals where I layer down starting with: Mashed taters, then Corn, lotza butter, Turkey, Gravy, more Corn and butter, dressing,stuffing then top it with a spoonful of Cranberry Sauce and then stir it all up.. Accompanied by a slice or 3 of homemade bread, heavily buttered..

I nuke my ice-cream for about 8 seconds to make it soft serve. But when I am craving something decadent, I take a huge piece of cake (Choc is best), big scoop of New York Vanilla, nuke it and then stir it..... Mmmhhhh, delish....

I wonder if being raised on a dairy farm where cream (no milk) was used on cereal started this???

Ok, fess up....

Rod

My tastes are all exceptionally normal. No deviancy in my culinary explorations. However, cream (sans milk) on cereal is still a delightful gustatory experience. Liver sandwiches with butter can put a smile on my face at any time. Only recently have I ceased to keep either bagoong terong or kimchi as a condiment. Of course, if I had bagoong, I had patis for flavouring stews and soups. The only reason none is in my fridge now is because it is so hard to find in the far north. One of the more memorable Thanksgivings I enjoyed entailed the guilty pleasure of dipping turkey in bagoong. It is so much better than cheese whiz on celery, you know.

Doc,

Had to look it up, but figured out that I have been using Patis for 6-7yrs now. I like to use it in marinades for chicken on the grill.... Love Kimchi, but have only had a homemade by a Korean Dentist my wife worked for... Delish and it cleared my sinuses well...

Bagoong Terong - had to look that one up too.. Doubtfull I'll buy it, but certainly would try it..

Got a serious craving for Pickled Beets right now.. Did you know if you eat enough of them you can scare yourself bad enough to go to the Dr for tests? Sure can, convinced myself I was bleeding internally..... :oops: :oops: :roll:

Rod

Beets are about the only food I don't eat. However, I confess that I have enjoyed Borscht on more than a few occasions. And I do enjoy a good mess of beet greens.

I love beats! Also live beat tops. Boil them just like spinich, add butter and cider vinigar. :grin:

Rod, good thing we didn't know each other when you lived here. :mrgreen:

JD338

Nothings better than january when my family butchers,kidneys right out of the kettle,blood pudding,and my grandfathers specialty fried pig brain YUMMY!

JD, I hear ya, we'd gotten fatter together.... Sure do miss the roadside stands of cherries & blueberries too...

Skinner, I grew up witnessing those specialties being taken, prepared and eaten... I was so traumitized there is not an organ will remotely even touch my plate.. By todays standsards making a kid eat that stuff constitutes child abuse.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rod

nodak7mm":1b7y4uc3 said:
I wonder if being raised on a dairy farm where cream (no milk) was used on cereal started this???
Ok, fess up....Rod

Oh my but that does remind me! Fresh cream on oatmeal or cream of wheat............or strawberries! My mom used to get mad because by the time I walked home from grandmothers house about 75 yards away I would have the gallon of milk so shaken up that she would not be able to skim the cream off the top. Oh and Rod how about sitting around with the gallon paddle butter maker and making your own butter out of fresh cream!

nodak7mm":1b7y4uc3 said:
Got a serious craving for Pickled Beets right now.. Did you know if you eat enough of them you can scare yourself bad enough to go to the Dr for tests? Sure can, convinced myself I was bleeding internally..... :oops: :oops: :roll: Rod

Rod I hear you on the beets as well! My good friend had a garden and he canned his own pickled beets. He had us over for dinner and it had been a longggggggggg time since I had fresh pickled beets. I kind of overindulged as I was unable to stop myself and ate amost a quart jar full by myself!! The drive home was only about 10 minutes, but we had to make an emergency stop at a gas station on the way :shock: :oops: or I was simply not going to make it!! :grin: I was positive that something was horribly wrong! :shock: :lol:

Back