Electrical wire

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
Trying to figure out what this black and white wire is for. Does not appear to be hot! But I don't know for certain.

Attachments

• IMG_8531.jpeg
    IMG_8531.jpeg
    605.1 KB · Views: 26
With the braker being 200A and stating "main" it looks like a 220V/110V split. The middle 2 are ground, but a larger view would help me. What brand and model is the box? Doesn't appear to be or have GFI as most brakers I've seen have a red or yellow tab in the middle/on the toggle. Volt meter will tell for sure! If no meter, then use a pigtail connected to a lightbulb receptacle with a light in it. Won't tell you the voltage, but will let you know what is what.

Do you have a ground rod next to you power outside the house? If so, that's most likely what it's attached to and used multistrand wire instead of solid copper for ease of install.

With the braker being 200A and stating "main" it looks like a 220V/110V split. The middle 2 are ground, but a larger view would help me. What brand and model is the box? Doesn't appear to be or have GFI as most brakers I've seen have a red or yellow tab in the middle/on the toggle. Volt meter will tell for sure! If no meter, then use a pigtail connected to a lightbulb receptacle with a light in it. Won't tell you the voltage, but will let you know what is what.
I think I have it figured out. Years ago power ran from this box, 250 yards up the hill to the well. Up in our attic I found a junction box with a black wire coming from the old well with white tape on it. It tied into the black wire with the white stripe. Must be the return line then. When we “sold” the upper 5 acres to the kids we made them a deal but they had to power the well when they built their house. That return line is no longer in use then. Question now is; can I disconnect that black and white wire in the middle without cooking myself?
I will get some better pictures.

So the black and Black and red wire run up to the box in the attic they the whole mess is wired into wires that run up the hill.
Basically we have no use for that system any more and we want to install a heat pump/ac this spring. I want to replace that 100 amp with a 50, if I recall correctly and get the power over to the other side of the garage for the heatpump. Or I spend 500 bucks and see if I can get an electrician out here by fall :(

Attachments

• IMG_8536.jpeg
    IMG_8536.jpeg
    401 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8534.jpeg
    IMG_8534.jpeg
    297.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8533.jpeg
    IMG_8533.jpeg
    416.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8532.jpeg
    IMG_8532.jpeg
    395.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8535.jpeg
    IMG_8535.jpeg
    689.7 KB · Views: 16
So the black and Black and red wire run up to the box in the attic they the whole mess is wired into wires that run up the hill.
Basically we have no use for that system any more and we want to install a heat pump/ac this spring. I want to replace that 100 amp with a 50, if I recall correctly and get the power over to the other side of the garage for the heatpump. Or I spend 500 bucks and see if I can get an electrician out here by fall :(
It's labeled "N" which is Neutral, but the multistrand next to it doesn't have insulation on it. When working on any power I "TURN OFF THE DISCONNECT" at the pole/meter or outside the house/building before touching anything! The black/red wire going to the 100A (220 single phase) goes to the well (?) along with the black wire (110 each side just like electric dryers/cooktops). Ohms will tell you if those 3 are on the same line/circuit. BTW, "N" isn't ground and I don't know where it's connected looking at the pics. Could be "bonded" outside? Square D panel and brakers. I can't say for sure, but the exposed multistrand could be the ground as it would be extremely unwise to have a hot or neutral wire bare! I can't see the top of how the wire are on the incoming as knowing if the white/black wire is attached to the neutral or hot?

dc (direct current) takes 2 wires (hot, ground)
ac (alternating current) uses 3 (hot, neutral, ground) for 110/120V single phase

know less than nothing about wiring, but 100 amp breaker is way to much for a well pump, are there other breakers in junction boxes in line with that 100 amp circuit?
Depending on supply line size going 250 yards+ anything else that could be in use might need that much? Not sure on well size, depth, volume, etc, but 100A does seem excessive. Looks like #2 or #4 wire size which is probably the same all the way to the well. Our water table is around 20' and use double 30A w/ 12ga wire for house water. Water for center pivot systems for 100 and 120 acres are suppling 800gpm each with depts at 320' and 360'. Very fortunate in that retrospect. Wells are over 50 years old and static level is within 10' of when it was 1st drilled (170-180').

Depending on supply line size going 250 yards+ anything else that could be in use might need that much? Not sure on well size, depth, volume, etc, but 100A does seem excessive. Looks like #2 or #4 wire size which is probably the same all the way to the well. Our water table is around 20' and use double 30A w/ 12ga wire for house water. Water for center pivot systems for 100 and 120 acres are suppling 800gpm each with depts at 320' and 360'. Very fortunate in that retrospect. Wells are over 50 years old and static level is within 10' of when it was 1st drilled (170-180').
You have a good well. We are at 300 feet. I don’t recall the pump size, the wiring was done by the original builder. Last pump we did on the cabin was also 300 feet and it had a 30 amp. Thanks for your input. I appreciate the help.

Back