Elk hunt?

Wis65x55

Handloader
Jul 31, 2011
I have a 3-5 year goal of going on my first elk hunt. Needless to say, I don’t know where to start. My goal would be a good representative bull. I appreciate any and all suggestions that you may have to offer.
Keith
P.S. This would be a gift to my self after I get my associate degree as a paralegal.

Keith,

Look at success rates by state.
You will find that CO has the best odds for success but the bulls will be smaller.

JD338

...here's a "starter", look @ harvest reports, types of tags available, access, think about guided/ non-guided, private/ public, timing, overall costs. Decide what's most important, a trophy or a chance @ a bull w/ some experience thrown in. Make a list of what you want out of an elk hunt, go thru it & prioritize it. Write down your questions, there's lots of answers & experience available...

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/hunting-1000045.aspx

Wildgene is right on with advice. Get some of your friends interested you dont want to go on a big hunt without them. I am building preference points in many states. I want to retire in a few years and want to hunt other states. Good luck Brian

Elk hunting is surprisingly "doable" on your own. Most of it isn't done like the magazines often show, with a pack train, tents, wranglers, cooks, guides, 11,000' mountains etc... That is a great way to hunt though... :grin: Most of the time it's a few guys who drive to the end of the road and setup camp, then hunt on foot from that camp.

Most elk taken aren't the big 6x6 and larger bulls. Here in Washington, near my home, only spike bulls are legal game, unless a special "branch antler" permit is drawn.

Any elk taken is a trophy. They're terrific game animals. I've hunted them several times but have only pulled the trigger once.

Might want to take a look at Bugle - the elk hunting magazine. Eastman's often has some great elk hunting info as well.

Here on the internet, we tend to get too worked up about this cartridge or that, this bullet or that, and which kind of rifle to use. If the bullet will hold a half MOA group at 600 yards or if it will penetrate 16 VW's from end to end or whatever...

Frankly - that's mostly a bunch of hooey for the average elk hunter. Most deer rifles tossing a good bullet will do just fine. It's finding the elk, getting the shot opportunity, then getting the doggone thing out of whatever hole it's fallen into... That's elk hunting. That and a few nights sitting around the campfire lying to each other... :grin:

Enjoy! Guy

The average success rate for a do it yourself hunt is rather low (probably well under 10% in most states for non resident hunters unless it's a controlled hunt) compared to a outfitted hunt. Here in Idaho the general season elk hunting success for everyone is only about 14%. If you have no elk hunting experience and can afford it a guide is the way to go. With a guide you'll learn enough to give you a head start if you later decide to go at it alone. If you go with a guide ask as many questions you can about what they like and observe the terrain and elevation your hunting at. Elk really aren't that hard to kill if you understand their habits and hunt in a area where there are decent numbers of elk but they are a lot of work before they are dead and after.

I would try to hunt Colorado, New Mexico, or Arizona (basically where there aren't many wolves yet) because it's going to take many years for the good elk hunting to return to states like Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Colorado has the largest population of elk.

Many states require preference points to draw tags so it might be a good idea to start acquiring them now. Many of the best areas require a lot (10+). Even if you go with an outfitter/guide the first time you may want to build points for a future hunt on your own. So building up points now will get you a head start towards a do it yourself hunt. I'd even apply in Kentucky and some of the other eastern states. The size of the elk they are killing in some of those states is impressive.

For calibers I'm a huge fan of use the biggest you can shoot and shoot well. Elk aren't bullet proof but they can go a long ways on a bad hit too. I chased one all day with a broken rear leg and never found it. I'm not sure how many miles we went but I was a worn out dude and didn't get back to camp until just after midnight with a helpful ride from some other hunters.

Here on the internet, we tend to get too worked up about this cartridge or that, this bullet or that, and which kind of rifle to use. If the bullet will hold a half MOA group at 600 yards or if it will penetrate 16 VW's from end to end or whatever...

Now we can get rid of the milk jugs and start using old Volkswagens!!!!! We will need a new topic. Guy I think "you" should start it first with the .375 after all it was your idea. I will of course wait because I can't take pictures and post in the same year. !

OK, OK

I didn't know I needed to get a new Whizz-bang! Planning to use 280 Remington unless I need to use depleated uranium armor pearcing tip bullets.Lol :evil:
Keith

Wis65x55":ut1vbmlk said:
OK, OK

I didn't know I needed to get a new Whizz-bang! Planning to use 280 Remington unless I need to use depleated uranium armor pearcing tip bullets.Lol :evil:
Keith

Your .280 shoud do just fine. Pick a decent premium bullet, put it in the right place and sharpen up the skinning knife. I do cow elk hunts with an outfitter in New Mexico that are reasonably priced. It's a late season cull hunt but I'm in it for the meat. If you want a bull elk though, he does have landowner hunts but they're a bit pricey, at least for my budget. Nice thing is there is no draw. You just pay the price and go hunt. I'm retired and my income is fixed so I do one hunt every other year for cow elk with my outfitter. I haven't been able to draw for bull elk in my home state in 8 years. Fingers crossed for this year's draw but I'm not holding my breath.
Paul B.

Your 280 will be fine with some good bullets and practice behind the rifle.

Don't forget about spike and cow hunts either. Some really smart guys on where and how to draw those hunts and for the DIY'er they are a good way to get in and get your feet wet..

I'll assure you that your .280 will work just fine with elk. Work up a load with a premium bullet and work within any range limitations, and you'll take any elk that you pull down on.

Not sure where you live but in the western states we have several sportsman's expositions. I have been going to the one in Sacramento for multiple years. These places are an excellent way to meet new guides and research there hunt areas. I spent 5 years compiling notes before I made a decision as to where to hunt elk for the first time. This year I am going to Co. on a DIY hunt but on private ground at a cost of $1500. The owner states 100% opportunity and has provided references. The cool thing about Co is that they have either sex hunts so when it is grind time and you don't find a bull you can turn your hunt into a meat hunt. Co also has many seasons and areas that offer over the counter tags that require no points. Good luck on your research.

If you can take some time off before your bull elk adventure, I would highly recommend drawing a cow elk tag and get some DIY exposure to elk country. Cow tags are much less expensive and fairly easy to draw. Even if you do not take a cow on the hunt the learning experience is well worth the trip.

I wish that I had started it all by hunting a cow. On my first hunt I wanted a bull - or nothing (and that is exactly what I got). It did not happen for me until my fourth trip, and by then I was very grateful for that nice spike. Since then there have been a couple dozen bulls and a bunch of cows to keep my freezers full, but it is the time spent in elk country that I cherish the most.

"the time spent in elk country that I cherish the most" - yes indeed!

elk06.jpg

I'm not as well informed as I should be about which areas have been most affected by wolves so far. It's my understanding that some formerly very good elk areas are now a waste of time to hunt, because of the wolves. Something to consider before choosing an area.

IMG_3437.jpg

Guy

Just to keep you interested in the hunt, a couple of Washington bulls playing hide and seek with me:

IMG_3874.jpg

IMG_3859.jpg

Now, Guy, these aren't more of those Hanford bulls, are they? Good looking animals.

Took those photos west of Yakima, when the elk come down to their wintering/feeding areas.

Public land bulls. The one in the trees was a kick. He stayed just a bit away from me. Wouldn't let me get closer. The only time I could get a photo was when I couldn't see his eyes, and I guess he couldn't really see me very well either.

He knew full well where I was and kept putting trees between us. It was a month or two after hunting season as I recall, but he was still plenty wary. Never did get a real good look at his antlers, despite following him around for a while, but I think he was a good 5x5 or maybe even a 6x6.

Guy

Holy smokes Guy, given your adventures in the Elk woods, perhaps you should take after pronghorn with a "stick and string" set up. :) COOL CL

Back