Elk Season is Coming Fast, Fever Anyone???

yes i fouind a gentlemen on this site who had them, 180 of them to be exact and i bought and have loaded every one

Well, there is definitely fever in the air. I worked up loads for the 350 Remington Magnum, the 35 Whelan, the .358 Winchester, the 30-06 Springfield and the 270 WSM. Each of these are new within the past two years, and none have taken game. So they will go afield with me for various hunts this Fall to be blooded. I spent the day at the range making sure of the point of aim and the point of impact and the velocity of each load. Should be a good Fall and Winter.

Cant wait either. Going to be out opeing day of bow season on Aug.25 and then come opening day of rifle..Sept.17. Hopefully will break in my new Sako m75 Greywolf 338-06AI with 225gr Accubonds on a large bull elk.

Seen a few bulls last evening on my way home from being out of town with work. Two were heavy beamed 6x6's. :grin: :grin:

Elk opens September 1. Moose opens August 15. There is tension in our home as I am praying for frost this weekend. My wife says summer has been too short as it is.

Finally drew an any bull tag for a pretty good area. Season starts first week of november.

Been riding my bike to work and doing a few exercises to get in better shape.

Need to find some more 300g SMK's as I only have 9 left that are loaded. I need at least 100 so I can use 60 to practice from now to then, and have 40 for the hunt. Anyone have any extra or know where to find some would be great.

Well, my plans are in jeopardy. I planned to hunt Elk in Western Alberta on the sept 16 opener since last spring. However, becoming self employed this January caused delays in getting our home built (we sold in Oct of 08 and have been renting) and we'll have the contractors ready to have at it on the 10th of Sept. That coupled with some pretty serious equipment damage after hitting some livestock has left me with lots of time to shoot and work up loads, load said loads and now possibly not have time to hunt :evil: :evil: :evil: when the truck returns next week and we begin building.

However, I still live in a great hunting area and see deer right where we are going to build so perhaps I'll just bring the 257 to the site. I will be watching for a weekend to sneak out west and try for a few days anyway, but I am not really hopeful without any scouting trips and having not been on those logging roads in almost 5 years.

My 375 is ready to go and I have loaded up some very serious 300 grn Partitions over 84 grains of W760, QL figures 2730FPS and I didn't use the chrony when I tested that load. I have my elk calls and lure. Besides finding time all I have to do is sharpen my knife and head west for 650 km(400 miles).

JT.

Sorry to pout over that. Life's to sweet to do that, alot of people only have more buildings in the back yard, I have deer and geese.

I think my wife and i will just go up to Grande Prarie in the pickup for a couple days in Sept or Oct. She has a 280 that she wants to try and I have either a 7mm WSM or 375 ICL to try. Elk don't like pressure, so maybe they will surprice us and be there. Those roads go along way, clean up to the alpine slopes. That should mean there is access as far as we need to go to find them. AND easy retrieval :grin:

JT.

Well gentlemen here we are. I was out scouting the last three days and have located some great bulls. There was a little mewing and small whistles by the younger bulls. I saw 4 bulls rubbed off and the Fever just gets worse. The bull in that original post picture scored 372. He was a great bull. I have been helping clients get dialed in with their guns and can I tell you how excited I am to watch Accubonds take care of business this year. I hope to capture some great video for you all to see on our website. 2009 Recession? I think not. With the water we have received it will be nothing but good this year. Here is a picture of "Tuffy". He is ready to to go also. Good luck to all!!!

elk8_.jpg

Jason,

You have certainly had some disappointments. You are still blessed to live in Alberta. Hope you and your wife do get the chance to sneak up on a bull while in GP.

Oh yea the Fever is still going. The Rut is coming to a close and before long the Late hunts will be starting. Some great Utah bulls have been taken but there are still a bunch of good ones out there for the late hunters. This year has been real good to us and I hope all of the members of this forum. Happy Huntn!

Back