Evil Black Rifles... 6mm ARC

BK

Handloader
Dec 14, 2008
The other day, in the truck rifle thread, I posted that a 16"-18" AR in 6 ARC might be a possibility for my choice. It seems I may have talked myself into one. Has anybody played with one? Looked at one? Guy, has Gavin managed to acquire one?

I made the initial step to defeat my defenses, I joined a 6 ARC FB group. Oops. It doesn't seem like there's a whole bunch of companies making them yet. I did see on FB that Peterson is going to start making brass, though I think I might cry if I lost some of that precious stuff.

If/When I start loading for one, I'll probably stick to the long and lean bullet choices. Though anything that I'm likely to shoot with it that's NOT steel or paper would probably be better served by a varmint bullet. NOTE TO NOSLER: if you ever get production caught up, I'd like to see a 105ish slippery VARMINT bullet. BTLR, maybe? (You can pay my royalties for the name in .358 ABs, please.)

My barrel came from ballistic advantage. I used my 5.56 bolt carrier and got a grendel bolt head from PSA. Brass was really scarce when I built mine, so I used some of the stash of Grendel brass and formed it. I really haven't given it the attention it deserves, but what I've found out is Leverevolution, 8208 and CFE223 are just a couple that work really with the standard weight bullets like the 105 gr Lapua Scenar, that thing is a laser beam with leverevolution. I'm sure there's other powders, that just what I had on hand. If you want to go light like the 69 grain Hammer Absolute Hunter, then Benchmark and Ramshot X-Terminator will get that little pill singing along accurately at break-neck speeds. That 20" barrel from ballistic advantage is a half MOA barrel with the 2 bullets I've tried so far.

working on one, looking at a 22" upper from arparts.com, kinda sux a 6mm ARC is 700 bucks for a complete upper, while a 6.5 grendel can be had for 405 from the same place

working on one, looking at a 22" upper from arparts.com, kinda sux a 6mm ARC is 700 bucks for a complete upper, while a 6.5 grendel can be had for 405 from the same place
Yeah, I noticed the cost of uppers. Seems strange that two uppers with nothing different than a barrel should be that far apart. I don't think I've found one under sic bills.

My barrel came from ballistic advantage. I used my 5.56 bolt carrier and got a grendel bolt head from PSA. Brass was really scarce when I built mine, so I used some of the stash of Grendel brass and formed it. I really haven't given it the attention it deserves, but what I've found out is Leverevolution, 8208 and CFE223 are just a couple that work really with the standard weight bullets like the 105 gr Lapua Scenar, that thing is a laser beam with leverevolution. I'm sure there's other powders, that just what I had on hand. If you want to go light like the 69 grain Hammer Absolute Hunter, then Benchmark and Ramshot X-Terminator will get that little pill singing along accurately at break-neck speeds. That 20" barrel from ballistic advantage is a half MOA barrel with the 2 bullets I've tried so far.
Good info, thanks. I just happen to have a couple pounds of CFE223.

Mines an Aero upper BK. Shoots amazing with 108 ELDs and LVR. Right above 2700 with the 18" upper. Kinda has become my favorite cartridge in an AR. Liked it so much I got one of the Howa Carbon 6 ARC bolt guns.

Wished they made a 22 ARC or whatever they wanna call it.

Mines an Aero upper BK. Shoots amazing with 108 ELDs and LVR. Right above 2700 with the 18" upper. Kinda has become my favorite cartridge in an AR. Liked it so much I got one of the Howa Carbon 6 ARC bolt guns.

Wished they made a 22 ARC or whatever they wanna call it.
Scotty, did you buy a complete upper or build one?

my upper gets delivered tomorrow, ordered a 22" from grendelhunter, upper, 2 mags, and a 2.5# single stage trigger was 844.00 shipped. however, order the upper and wait a couple days they will offer you the trigger for 30 bucks off. so I ordered a 2nd trigger for 100 bucks.

got mine today, has aa 22" satern barrel, velocity 3# single stage trigger, 6x24 vortex diamondback tactical FFP, will see how it runs!

well shots 8,9, and 10 out of the new ARC
AfvX6TL.jpg

not bad for a gas gun shooting factory loads, with mirage and a 62 year old geezer thumbing the trigger

Back