exit hole Partition vs Accubond

fjlee

Beginner
Sep 27, 2004
Let's talk about a 30-06 using 180 grain Nosler Partitions and 180 grain Nosler Accubonds at about 2775 fps muzzle velocity.

Let's say that I hunt Colorado mule deer and elk, with normal shooting range from 50 yards out to 300 yards.

Which bullet would be expected to give a larger exit hole?

Lee Carkenord Denver Co.

Depends on what the bullet hits on the way through.
Every shot will likely give a different result. I`d expect the AccuBond to open the fastest though, and the Partition to be the best bet for a exit if rakeing shots or bone are incountered.

Based on the only side by side use of both the AB and Partition,the 140gr out of a 270 Win. I would expect both to perform about the same,on game.

Because of the design of the PT, which will lose a substantial amount of its original weight the Partition should have a smaller exit hole.

I agree:

If both the AccuBond and Partition can fully penetrate the animal, the AccuBond will most likely provide a larger exit wound.

Given the choice of the two premium bullets, I'll always choose the AccuBond if I feel it'll provide adequate penetration in most cases. If I'm unsure, the edge goes to the Partition - particularly Federal's High Energy 30-06 180-gr. Partition at 2,890 fps.

Deer = 180-gr. Ballistic Tips
Elk = 180-gr. Partitions

Once the 30-06 factory ammo is used up, I'm switching to the 180-gr. AccuBond for everything.

Back