Experimenting with a New tumbling media

super-7

Handloader
Jun 27, 2009
Well somehow over the course of the XMas holidays ( last time I used my tumblr) my media got wet and clumpy. No prob probly needed cleaned any way, oops I guess I'm all out of media.
Well I'm not making an hour run each way to just get media. So I start researching , our pet store closed down , and our local peavey mart had no crushed walnut hamster bedding either.
I have heard of using rice in a pinch , but guys complained about the dust.
Well I happened to have 2 sample bags in my truck of canola from last fall from helping my BIL combine , a hair dryer and a strainer to remove the chaff . So it's an oil seed so there will not be much for dust and it may have a bit a film left I will see .
My nephew and I were both running low on yote ammo for our 243 wins , and my Vangaurd and his Savage both shoot the 75 gr VMaxs to MOA or better. I need to seat his tho fit the mag , mine are a tad longer OAL . Both shooting the same load of RL-15 and Cci primers / win brass .
This will be the 4 th reloading of brass , I kept his 40 seperate from my 50 and I have his in the tumblr I will take pics when I pull them out.. Fingers crossed

Appears to have worked just fine.. I can't detect any residue at all. I did have to poke canola seed out of the flash holes with a pick but that is normal using walnut shell aswell.

Very interesting. Never would have thought of that. Good use of the by product.

I've been using white rice for quite a while. It's a little big for 243 and under but it works good everywhere else.... and it's virtually dust free. You do have to keep an eye on flash holes a little bit. I treat it initially with a little bit of tumbler media booster and after that the only way I really treat it is to rub case necks in Wadding polish called "never dull" and toss them direct in the Tumbler w/o wiping em off. This does a great job of getting the carbon off the necks. I probably change the rice out about every 15 or 20 loads but its really cheap so I don't care.

Back