Fall hunting plans?

I also enjoyed reading your posts Dr Mike and yours as well mjcmichigan about wild critters in your back yard.

We raised our children on a working farm. We saw from time to time a variety of animals in the fields eating out crops--deer, turkey, black bear,as well as coyotes, fox, bobcats and the dreaded javelina. We also had quail, doves and seasonally cranes, ducks and geese. We had a fairly large pond so we got ducks visiting in the pond and geese in the fields at certain times of the year. I am sure some of the animals we harvested to protect our livestock, and crops, we should not have, but we were way out of town and so these animals visited us at their own risk.

Cheyenne, I may be the only one that caught the meaning of your post. Moose and wolves that visit you, stay with you lol

We have lots of deer in our area. There is really no front or back yard, and we live adjacent to thousands of acres of ranch and timberlands. We can deer during the appropriate seasons, and they are not hard to come by. Also in the area are, Bobcats, lions and bears are frequently seen but as far as I know not hunted. Turkey's are a nuscence in the springtime as they are strutting in our yard, and wake us in the morning gobbling by our open window. Two extinct volcano's are visible from the house as well as the Columbia River gorge. We live in a dryer part of Washington with about 15 inches of precipitation annually. All and all a pretty nice place for an outdoor guy.

We have 5 acres in the country but our backyard borders forest land. At times we have 50 plus elk in the yard and a few blacktail deer, coyotes, raccoons and other varmints. There are bear and cougar although we have not seen any in the yard. In the 8 years since we built the house I have harvested 5 bull elk during archery season and the wife and I have killed 37 coyotes. We don't bother the deer because they are more like pets but the neighbors kill all of the little bucks.

Well this year I did not get drawn for any of our specialty draws such as Mulie, Antelope but I will likely being going in our regular seasons for Elk, Moose & Whitetail :wink:. I am hoping to spend a number of weekends hunting upland game with my oldest boy as his GSP is now just over a year and has got a little bit of the pup out of him :shock:.
As for game in the city we have a covey of Hungarian Partridge that frequent our front yard almost every day as my wife feeds them wild bird seed, we also have Moose, Whitetail deer that are on the outskirts of our city and are again seen almost everyday along with the coyotes.

Blessings,
Dan

I plan on mostly going after dall sheep and caribou. I will have a moose tag in my pocket as well.

243win":383yplll said:
sask boy":383yplll said:
243win, what part of the continent do you call home :wink:?

Blessings,
Dan

I now call the Yukon home

Beautiful up there. Glad I had the opportunity to see part of it last month!

Best of luck on your hunting season!

Guy

Guy Miner":1e0nddhx said:
243win":1e0nddhx said:
sask boy":1e0nddhx said:
243win, what part of the continent do you call home :wink:?

Blessings,
Dan

I now call the Yukon home

Beautiful up there. Glad I had the opportunity to see part of it last month!

Best of luck on your hunting season!

Guy
Thanks a lot! I definitely agree that it is beautiful up here. Congratulations on that grizzly.

243win, the Yukon is the one place I have not visited and would really like to see :wink:. I am hoping to make a trip up there in the next year or 2.
I am looking forward to a some real good hunting stories and photos (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Drew a Wyoming muley tag. It will be a tough hunt in a new unit, it's a 0pt tag in the Special draw. Other than that it's coyotes and whitetail around home. I have shot 20 coyotes since January 1 so I'm making a little progress. I haven't shot many since we got cattle out to summer grass.

mcseal2":yh9bbdcy said:
Drew a Wyoming muley tag. It will be a tough hunt in a new unit, it's a 0pt tag in the Special draw. Other than that it's coyotes and whitetail around home. I have shot 20 coyotes since January 1 so I'm making a little progress. I haven't shot many since we got cattle out to summer grass.

:shock: That's a lot of 'yotes! Nice work! I need to get busy... I'll never catch that score, but might get a few.

Guy

Yea! Drew a second hunt black bear tag in UP(Michigan). 9/15-10/26.

Missed on Mich. Elk (8x now)

Planning to learn to tan leather and tan hides, so white tails willing, I'll butcher a bunch and practice on their hides. No. I would not risk a good bear hide on my skills. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug. Archery Antelope
Sept. Archery Elk & deer
Oct-Nov Rifle hunt unfille

I never hunt close to home, as camping is a big part of hunting for

Last edited:
I will be in the Fort Rock unit right down the road from the house. With a Buck deer tag, Cougar tag, Bear tag and a Bull elk tag for second season. My schedule is in deer camp September 27th thru October 12th. Then I duck and snow Goose hunt a few days. Back to Elk camp November 2nd thru November 13th. Then finish out the fall hunting Ducks and Western Canada geese. 2 full months of mostly hunting

Back