Farm rifle

ajvigs

Handloader
Nov 1, 2012
My dad is looking into a rifle for use around the farm. We have a lot of problems with deer, coyotes, and other critters that the state allows us to shoot on sight...

He has never hunted, nor shot any rifle other then a 22 LR (I did get him to shoot a 3" slug out of my 870 once; that was fun :lol: ).

Something portable (that he can take onto the tractor with him), light, easy on recoil would be real nice. Ease of ammo availability and performance to take care of everything would round it all up.

He even mentioned he wants to start hunting with said rifle as well this fall...

What do you all think would work. He is located in CT so have to be very conscientious of their "Laws" on firearms :roll:

If it's not going to be bigger than deer, a 243 would probably work well.
Give you a little reach for coyotes, work fine for deer.
Lower recoil, easy ammo to find, plenty of fairly inexpensive decent shooting rifles.

.223 Ruger American Compact would have no problems handling the animals mentioned if it's legal where he lives. Cheaper to shoot than a .243 and the size of it makes it extremely portable.

When I was travelling for work between Toronto and northern Quebec each week, I carried a Savage 93, .22WMR bolt action rifle in my truck. It served me for killing everything from rats to groundhogs. I also shot some wild dogs with it and small game. Ranges in that part of the world are typically less than 100 yards.

Thanks much all. I just got off the phone with him and mentioned the 243. He likes what he hears. I am thinking he would do quite well with a Ruger American in 243? Any experiences with one?

ajvigs":1ry2ia02 said:
Thanks much all. I just got off the phone with him and mentioned the 243. He likes what he hears. I am thinking he would do quite well with a Ruger American in 243? Any experiences with one?

Or a Remington M7. For optics, a VX-3 2.5-8x36mm.

JD338

I would recommend the Howa ranchland compact. Good strong actions that come in various calibers. Plus compact and easy to get in and out of tractors/trucks. Also I would look at the TC Venture as well. Very nice and accurate guns.

.243 would be my vote solely on ammo. They have 7mm-08 but ammo is a little bit less available

http://www.legacysports.com/hogue-ranch ... ct-package

Thanks again all. I sent my brother the links to the rifles for him to check out. The Howa totally escaped my mind. Looks about perfect for what he wants.

I got to say, when you mention "Farm Rifle"....a well worn 30-30 is a natural fit for riding around in the truck and tractor.

Try a Scout Rifle.
I'm not much of a fan of the concept, for my needs, but they do excell in that agrarian environment.

I think the 243 would do well. If more is desired the 7 mm 08 would be a great choice. Any well made short barreled, bolt action rifle, with a fixed 6 power scope would suffice.

A standard Ruger Hawkeye or Model 77 in 6mm Remington or 243 would serve all of his needs I would think. I too would probably pick a fixed 6x scope like the Leupold 6x36 or 6x42, but considering its use I would go for the slightly smaller and lighter 6x36.

Back