Favourite rifle or cartridge for various big game species?

Someday I will have to get myself a 22 LR though. Never owned one. I bought the kids a little Chimpmunk or whatever it was called years ago, but I have just never had one of my own.. I guess it could be a favorite someday. :lol:

You would have loved that Browning BL-22 that was posted on here a little while back (may have been sold).

Fun little rifles!

SJB358":3teo8bz4 said:
Someday I will have to get myself a 22 LR though. Never owned one. I bought the kids a little Chimpmunk or whatever it was called years ago, but I have just never had one of my own.. I guess it could be a favorite someday. :lol:

If you like your Marlin lever actions, I'd recommend looking for a nice old Marlin 39A. Takes short, long or long-rifle ammo, and feels very similar to any of the 336 based Marlins. Accurate too, and fun to shoot. Mine is not just my favorite rimfire, it's my favorite rifle, period. Love shooting that Marlin and carrying it.

Regards, Guy

Hard to believe that Scotty doesn't own a .22 rimfire. That is almost un-American! I do trust that what must be a colossal oversight on his part will be rectified shortly.

Guy Miner":2iz7nbuf said:
Ha! After this past season...

Bear, Pronghorn Antelope, Mule Deer & Elk...

The .30-06 Rem 700 CDL with a 2-7x scope, and a quality 165 gr bullet... I used the Ballistic Tip, but the Partition or the AccuBond would have been just as good or better...

Guy
+1 for the 30/06.

Not as long a list as above, a cow Elk, 38 years ago, one Antelope, numerous W.T..

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

rodell":m4w6j5l1 said:
Deer - 300 Weatherby
Elk - 300 Weatherby
Plains Game - 300 Weatherby
Red stag - 300 Weatherby
Bear - 300 Weatherby
Antelope - 300 Weatherby
Sheep, backbuck, fallow - 6.5x55

I have all kinds of calibers available, and I enjoy them, but the 300 always goes these days. Guess what I'm taking to NZ in May?

This is funny--how did the 6.5 slip in there ? you might want to consider replacing it with a 257 Weatherby so as to stay true to the Weatherby line. If you will notice my post, I also like the Weatherby, but am a little more diverse in the use of their product --HA

Pronghorn/mule deer: 243, 270, 7mm-08 (120 gn BT), 30-06 (165 gr Accubonds)
Elk: 30-06 (180 gn AB/PT, 300 H&H
Moose: 300 H&H
Turkey: 870 SPS 12 Ga. 3"

Camo

hunternyny":1tjmfszi said:
rodell":1tjmfszi said:
Deer - 300 Weatherby
Elk - 300 Weatherby
Plains Game - 300 Weatherby
Red stag - 300 Weatherby
Bear - 300 Weatherby
Antelope - 300 Weatherby
Sheep, backbuck, fallow - 6.5x55

I have all kinds of calibers available, and I enjoy them, but the 300 always goes these days. Guess what I'm taking to NZ in May?

This is funny--how did the 6.5 slip in there ? you might want to consider replacing it with a 257 Weatherby so as to stay true to the Weatherby line. If you will notice my post, I also like the Weatherby, but am a little more diverse in the use of their product --HA

Well, I do have a 257 Weatherby and it is an awesome round and I've also used it to good effect. I just often have mixed bag hunts so I am prepared!

That 6.5 slipped in there out of nostalgia. It is a great slaying round, too. If I were to go after those species again, I would be seriously conflicted.

rodell,

What load did you use in your Swede for the blackbuck, fallow deer and sheepish?

Blkram":26038g59 said:
rodell,

What load did you use in your Swede for the blackbuck, fallow deer and sheepish?

I used a 140 grain AccuBond and a generous dose of MRP. I'll have to look when I get near my notebooks again for the exact load. It was a duplicate of the Nosler factory load.

I will admit I also shot a Red Stag with that load and he dropped on the spot. I didn't chase any of these animals with the 6.5x55.

At least you had a great experience with on the red stag, and kept it in your list of favourites! That is saying something of the cartridge!

It is still my favourite. I have more trigger time with the 6.5 Swede over any other cartridge, save the 22LR.

Pleasant to shoot, great accuracy and performs on game far more than what it's paper ballistics would indicate.

For here in the lower 48 my 280 Rem & 7mm-08 and my bow. On small game 12 ga ou or 22. If I'm ever lucky enough to go north of the boarder or Alaska I'll be putting my 300 WSM to work.

rodell,
You could consider a 6.5-300 Weatherby instead of the 257!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me,
.223 for varmints
20 gauge with Fed Heavyweight #7's for gobblers
And my 6.5 SAUM fills the bill for everything I'd hunt here in North America.

mwess1113":k7f9guka said:
rodell,
You could consider a 6.5-300 Weatherby instead of the 257!

I definitely think about it, but Blaser doesn't make a barrel in it yet!

I would buy a ULW but not with a brake on it. I despise those things, just personal preference.

Like Blkram, I too have worked in the industry selling firearms and scopes etc. Having used a wide variety of cartridges and platforms helps sell.
My current choices/preferences are:
fox/coyote and the like: Tikka T3 223; Weatherby Vanguard 243 for longer shots
Deer/antelope/axis and the like: 700 BDL in 25-06; Win 70 in 6.5x55; 358 Win; 308
Elk-size and up: Win 70 in 264 Win; 6.5 x 55; 308
Haven't done an African hunt and doubt I will. Would love to go after moose sometime as well as a nice black bear.

Antelope & Mule Deer Whitetail Deer. 6mm Rem
Antelope, Mule Deer, Whitetail Deer, Wild Boar .264 Win Mag
Elk & Bear. 300 H & H Mag

I have no need for anything else as I have anything in North America covered and each rifle can move up or down a category.

Antelope 300 RUM with 180 Nosler ballistic tips
Whitetail 300 RUM with 180 Nosler ballistic tips
Black Bear 300 RUM with 180 Nosler ballistic tips
Mule Deer 300 RUM with 180 Nosler ballistic tips
Moose 300 RUM with 180 Nosler ballistic tips
Elk 300 RUM with 200 gr Nosler Accubonds

Back