Favourite rifle or cartridge for various big game species?

Anything smaller than a deer, .223 or .308 Win. Anything deer sized or larger, 300 WM, 7mm RM, or 7mm Mashburn all three with Nolser PT or AB . Bears that eat me, something much bigger.

Great thread, Gil.

Up until a couple of years ago I hunted the last 40+ years with a 30-06 and 270 Win. Now my Model 70 30-06 is rebarreled to a 25-06 which I will use for deer/antelope/coyotes. For elk/black bear my 300 WSM Model 70 or 270 WSM Model 700 SPS.

Elk... 7mm Mashburn, 300, 338 Win, 35 Whelen, etc

Deer/bear.. See above plus the 45-70, 348, 444 Marlin, 25-06, 6.5 Swede...

Pretty much all Model 70's.. Except for a couple that want to be :lol:

I had an opportunity to get on the internet to pick up some pm,s and saw this

White Bear, Black Bear, Grizzly bear, Caribou, Sheep, Goat, Moose, Deer, Muskox, Bison, Fox, Wolf, Lynx, Wolverine

Gil has more and uses more rifles because he can afford to buy them, he is a much wiser hunter, and lives 1000 miles south where the animals see a lot of humans with rifles and have become very cautious. Our animals never see people and therefore when we ring the dinner bell, they all come to the sound and line up so we can choose what we want for dinner.

I actually made that comment for two reasons, one to tease my brother Cil and secondly I received a pm telling me that my opinion here on the forum is not relevant because it is easier to hunt in my area.

Hodgeman, I am leaving the checkpoint now and headed to Nome. Your country looks a lot like our country, a lot of white. as of today we are ahead of your friend, but as you know things can change quickly, I wish your friend Zoya the best of luck.

Here is my list......

Deer 257 Roberts, 280AI, 338 RUM, 35 Whelen, 44 Rem mag, 45-70, 50 cal ML
Antelope 257 Roberts, 280AI, 338 RUM
Elk 280AI, 338 RUM, 35 Whelen
Moose 280AI, 338 RUM, 35 Whelen
Bear 280AI, 338 RUM, 35 Whelen, 45-70
Africa PG 280AI, 338 RUM
Africa DG 416 Weatherby
Turkey Rem 870 Mag 12 ga 3"
Small game Rem 870's 12 ga/20 ga
Pest Control Rem 541T 22 LR
Crop Damage Deer All of the above. Bullet Test Site :)

JD338

Guy Miner":1by2ue7l said:
Pretty funny, there's a safe full of rifles & shotguns, and for my big game & bird hunting needs, I could be quite happy with those two, the .30-06 and the 12 gauge... :mrgreen:

And you would be quite right in your contented happiness in my opinion. Throw in a good shooting 22 and I'm not sure what else a man would need to neatly dispatch anything in the lower 48.

270 Weatherby magnum does it all for me. I have sold all of my mega cannons, as there isn't any mammoths or dinosaurs around anymore. My back won't take the beating from the big stuff either. I miss my 458's etc, but I just couldn't justify keeping them if I can't shoot them. I haven't ran across anything that needs more than the 270 offers, and it does it with tolerable recoil. Moose fall over, elk flop and gophers and yotes explode. It's perfect.

Redgreen,

I like my 270 Wby too! Haven't needed to clean a coyote shot with it yet! Definitely qualifies as a Deer Hammer!

Cheyenne,

I wish and respectfully request that you would just tell us and the Moderators who this ignorant person is that believes that everyone should value his opinion, while he does not reciprocate the same respect to other people on this site! And does so in the cowardly fashion of hiding in PM's. The only way to deal with him is to expose and then remove him from this respectable forum! Enough is enough!!!

Blkram":1ouyjiyy said:
Redgreen,

I like my 270 Wby too! Haven't needed to clean a coyote shot with it yet! Definitely qualifies as a Deer Hammer!

Cheyenne,

I wish and respectfully request that you would just tell us and the Moderators who this ignorant person is that believes that everyone should value his opinion, while he does not reciprocate the same respect to other people on this site! And does so in the cowardly fashion of hiding in PM's. The only way to deal with him is to expose and then remove him from this respectable forum! Enough is enough!!!
I agree I for always enjoy your posts. Having spent an awfully long time in Alaska, the north country is vast and empty. Easy, nope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gil, Salmonchaser, in my humble opinion I sincerely doubt the agitator could keep up with Cheyenne when she start's across the ice in search of dinner. Gil, Salmomchaser, hodgeman, earle and Guy could I am sure as you all know how to run in snow shoes. Dr mike and I might need a snowmobile to keep up, well I would anyway, I should not speak for Dr Mike.

Gil, back to your op

Through the years I probably used the 243, 6.5 x 55, 7 x 57, 30-06, and 375 H & H the most. Other calibers came and went for me but I found those to be easy for me to handle. I remember hating the 338 win, and 416 Rigby. The last rifle I bought, for me, was a 257 Weatherby for the express purpose of hunting Coues Deer in Arizona, and it certainly was a sweet little rifle. They are a small animal but for those who have not hunted them they are a very challenging hunt.

BTW, I also thought is was funny thinking of Cheyenne saying "time to go hunting, which caliber should I take?" LOL

DrMike running on snowshoes? Now there is a thought!

I'm pretty sure that he would opt for a ride in the sled behind the ski-doo today...and be grateful that you thought to send it along for him.

And to be honest it has been quite some time since I've had to run in snowshoes! Hopefully I won't have to anytime soon...

Cheyenne,

Sorry, in my agitation I forgot to tell you that we are glad that you and Brooke are having fun out there. Tell her Hi from us! Stay warm! Best of luck to your racer.

DrMike walking on snowshoes? Now, there is an even more interesting thought! Make certain there is a thermal blanket in that sled! (y)

Bear Moose n Elk, 35 Whelen.
Deer .270W
LR coyote 25/06
Called coyotes under 300yds .243
Most fun all around caliber 6.5x55.
But if I could only have one gun.......
My old 30/06.

Deer,antelope,something in the .243 Winchester to .300 Wby range.

Elk,oryx,something in the .270 Winchester to .375 H&H/RUM range.

Deer - 300 Weatherby
Elk - 300 Weatherby
Plains Game - 300 Weatherby
Red stag - 300 Weatherby
Bear - 300 Weatherby
Antelope - 300 Weatherby
Sheep, backbuck, fallow - 6.5x55

I have all kinds of calibers available, and I enjoy them, but the 300 always goes these days. Guess what I'm taking to NZ in May?

It might be easiest to start with what I've used to shoot stuff with already:

Mule Deer: 270win, 300wm, 7STW, 416 Rem., 375-358STA, 308 Baer, 6.5-300wm, 7-300wm, 350RM, 358STA, 50cal muzzleloader
Whitetail Deer: 375-358STA, 375-8mm, 416 Rem
Blacktail deer: 243win and 270win
Elk: 300wm, 308 Baer, 358STA, 375-358STA, 416 Rem, 6.5x47L, 6.5-300wm, 7-300wm, 7STW, 300wsm, 30-8mm, 50 and 54 caliber muzzleloaders
Antelope: 300wsm, 6.5-300wm, 7STW, 30-338wm, 50 cal muzzleloader
Moose: 358STA and 416 Rem
Bear: 7-300wm, 416 Rem, 458 Lott, 460 Weatherby
Caribou: 30-338wm
Wolf: 30-338wm
Coyotes: This would be more of a guess because I never really kept track but I know I've shot several with my 7STW and 30-338wm. There are many others I just don't remember which ones.
Wild Pigs: 12ga, 300wm, 270 win
Dove, Ducks, Geese, Quail, Pheasants, Chuckar, Huns: 20ga, 12ga, and 10ga
Grouse: 22LR, 12ga, and various hunting rifles.
Turkey: 12ga and 10ga
Kudu, Gemsbok, Impala: 375-358STA
Warthog: 358STA
Blesbok: 30-338wm

When I go back to Africa I'll probably take a 375 Ruger and a 416 of some flavor like a Rigby and hunt for Cape Buffalo, Kudu, Sable, Nyala, Eland, and Warthogs.
This fall we are going to Alaska for moose and I'll take either my 300wsm or a 338 of some flavor I'm building.
When we go to NZ it will be something light because we'll do it DIY and be packing everything on our backs for a week at a time. I might build a titanium actioned rifle in something like a 300wsm.
This year I'll try to hunt big game with my 6.5saum, 300wsm, 338 RUM or 338 Norma Imp, and 30-338 Norma Imp. and I'll use my Benelli 12ga for birds.

rodell":1gaoi7zk said:
Deer - 300 Weatherby
Elk - 300 Weatherby
Plains Game - 300 Weatherby
Red stag - 300 Weatherby
Bear - 300 Weatherby
Antelope - 300 Weatherby
Sheep, backbuck, fallow - 6.5x55

I have all kinds of calibers available, and I enjoy them, but the 300 always goes these days. Guess what I'm taking to NZ in May?

Gotta love this guy!

If you are going to have just one cartridge for 90% or everything it would be hard to argue against this one.

Once upon a time long ago I decided that I needed something to chase elk and an all around cross over cartridge. There was three considerations, 338 win mag, 300 win mag and the 300 wby mag.

The .338 was eliminated only because the 300 mags would be better suited as an across-the-spectrum round. Then it came down to the 300 win vs. the 300 wby. In the end I chose the 300 win mag due to available factory ammo. Back then Wby did offer some but, the choices were not even close to the 300 win mag.

Now days factory ammo is a little more varied and I hand load. Not sorry I went with the win mag one little bit, it's a very fine cartridge with no fly's buzzing around it at all. Had I been a hand loader back then I would not have gone that direction.

It all worked out in the end though...................... one day a very nice looking Mark V with exhibition grade walnut just happened to follow me home.

700LH based .260 & .308 for everything in the South East where I live.

I'm planning to build a Mod 70 LH pattern 338-06AI this year.

Varmints and pests- 10/22 or Ruger American Rimfire compact 22 magnum
Predators- 204 Ruger (bolt or AR) when bobcat may appear, coyotes 223 AR, 243 or 25-06 bolt guns
Antelope - 264WM
Antlerless season deer - 25-06
Whitetail buck season - 264WM, muzzleloader
Muleys - 264WM in flatter country, 300WM in steep country
Elk or anything bigger, 300WM
Birds - Browning Citori Upland 12 gauge for most upland birds, Beretta 390 for dove, Less recoil!

I have a light 270 win that has kinda become my dedicated back-up rifle for out of state hunts. I find I keep grabbing the 300WM as my primary since I had it built but the 270 can get the job done if needed.

Idahoctd,
Wow, that's an impressive list of various cartridges! A broad assortment of wildcats too.

I have used more cartridges on the animals on my list, but just gave my favourites for each. The 358 Win was added to a couple of the species for close brush work, and it is my bow hunting back-up rifle. Short, quick handling, and will take care of everything inside 250 yards if required.

It's great to know that we have so many participants on this forum with such depth of knowledge in this pastime! Your knowledge helps others as we endeavour to broaden our knowledge and experience as well.

I will also appreciate and respect those here that keep things simple by using a single (or two) big game cartridge(s), while possibly adding a 22 and a shotgun to their battery for birds and small game. You know what works for you and meets your needs.

Back