Federal Gold Medal Match 215M primers

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
Does any store(s) have any Federal Gold Medal Match 215M, I am looking to buy a couple thousand. I could not find any and set up alerts for any shipments they receive.

Have not seen any.....anywhere in near 2 years now! Some on gunbroker going for $250 per thousand!! :shock:

They are starting to pop up again. I picked up the last 2 bricks at the local shop this past weekend.

MAinAR":df584x3z said:
Have not seen any.....anywhere in near 2 years now! Some on gunbroker going for $250 per thousand!! :shock:

Are they selling for that much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My gunsmith, who does quite a bit of longrange shooting, told me that he could not detect any difference in group size when switching to the regular Fed 215 (non-match) primers. I loaded several rounds of my best shooting ammo with the 215s and 215Ms for comparison.

The longest range at my club is 300 yards so I did my comparison testing at that distance. Sure enough, after numerous comparisons, there was no measurable difference in group size. That might change at extended range but maybe not.

I bought another 1,000 (blue box)215s just so I don't run out but it might just prove that the "Match" version isn't needed at all.

Charlie-NY":mxx9fh0x said:
My gunsmith, who does quite a bit of longrange shooting, told me that he could not detect any difference in group size when switching to the regular Fed 215 (non-match) primers.

I heard that you might get hangfires with CCI 250 if pushing high 70 to 80 grains of powder and that Federal GM 215 and Rem 9 1/2 M were better choices to burn all that powder. Rifle is a 300 Mag. Or won't it matter?

I would hope no one would pay a ransom of $250 per 1,000 for Fed primers .... If they do that will only encourage the same kind of behavior we had with rim fire shells... Price gouging!

That said I never used anything more than CCI 250 s for 40 years and when I got a 338 Lapua I didn't see any difference when I compared!

YMMV

My buddy just paid $60 for a thousand at a local store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a pound of MR2000 to try out, of course the haz mat fee was added to it, and I bought 3,000 of those Fed210M for 36 bucks a thousand, not bad. This time I need the 215's.

I'm still shooting from the same 3K Fed 215M primers I bought "from the Clinton Primer Scare", way back in the 90's, ha! (for some youngsters info, the rumor that the "Govt" was mandating an expiration chemical in primers set off a major artificial shortage. I knew guys who bought tens of thousands of primers then, it was a royal pain) I keep my stuff in a cool/dry room and our humidity is super low out here anyhow. I like them because they are a "hot" primer, and I am super spooky ( have I become OCD in this? :) ) about cold weather ignition issues in magnum rounds or even some loads in my older Whelen AI. I went through a lot of Fed 210M primers but actually prefer CCI BR2 for standard rounds. Of course, I have never been a competition or Long Range shooter either, just a hobbyist. Any Pastor that does not have a Hobby is doomed to Burnout! ( that's my excuse! ha)

TD Winchester WLRM primers are very hot if you decide to switch or can't find F215M primers, and I prefer them over Remington primers FWTW.

Back