FFA and 4H

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
Catherine and I went to the County Fair, Union County, Oregon, this morning. The grand daughter really enjoys the FFA program and was showing her lamb, Loyd, this morning. She is learning life can be challenging, not every one gets a trophy, you get out of it what you put into it, make your choices and pay the fiddler. Lots of good life lessons. G-ma who spent many years as an FFA and 4H advisior and judge warned the grand daughter it was time to focus. Needless to say our Grand Daughter learned some of life’s tougher lessons. She and Loyd did not place. She is already looking forward to next year. We are big fans of both programs, unfortunate it only seems to be rural kids who participate anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_8913.jpeg
    IMG_8913.jpeg
    583.1 KB · Views: 12
Congrats to your granddaughter for participating.
I'm a big fan of the 4H program. Both of my daughters were in 4H showing horses. Lots of great memories and good folks.

JD338

Congratulations to your granddaughter. FFA was one of the best things I did in HS. Moving from NYC in 1970, I inadvertently left my jacket (with a chest full of metals) in an attic in Tuckahoe. I never really missed my letter jacket, but I really missed the FFA jacket and metals. I've used the skills learned repeatedly throughout the years since.

Congratulations to your granddaughter. FFA was one of the best things I did in HS. Moving from NYC in 1970, I inadvertently left my jacket (with a chest full of metals) in an attic in Tuckahoe. I never really missed my letter jacket, but I really missed the FFA jacket and metals. I've used the skills learned repeatedly throughout the years since.
Mike,
You should reach out to FAA and see if you could get the metals you earned. It's worth a try.

JD338

I was a member of Kansas 4-H from the time I was 7 to the time I was 19. I showed animals (among other projects) in the county fair every year. I'm a big supporter of the organization still. I still think it's one of the best ways to teach kids hard work and ethics, along with it being one of the best ways to make friends around the state.

Those darn record books every year, though... brutal. When I got my Key Award, I didn't have to do them anymore and I celebrated with an underage Modelo with my dad.

though i wasn't much of a ffa person, i did do 4h. started doing 4h in 4th grade in junior grass judging (later changed to plant identification) up thru my senior year. after my brother's group (3 years older than i) graduated i got moved to range judging. we went to state every year and placed as high as 3rd as a group. there's only so much plants to see in the west Texas area compared to the south (college station) where state competition in 4h is held. kinda hard to learn what you can't see in person. you get extra point for correctly identifying and spelling the scientific word of the plant as that's where i made a lot of extra points. glad the g-daughter is learning a valuable tool and lesson. hope the next 1 goes better and gets a blue ribbon!

Back