Finally got my first Ruger #1

That’s one nice looking rifle. Congrats & post up a range report when you get a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JD338":22fg3kuf said:
Beautiful rifle. That 416 Rem is going to be awesome.
I think one day I will have a Ruger No 1 in 25-06. It would make for a sweet rifle for White Tail.

JD338
Thanks that would be a great whitetail setup for sure.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Rednek rampager":3bdr1jdy said:
That’s one nice looking rifle. Congrats & post up a range report when you get a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks! Hopefully have a report tm.

DrMike":1d4rbder said:
Cleveland48":1d4rbder said:
SJB358":1d4rbder said:
DrMike":1d4rbder said:
Wow! Kind of a situation of "Go Big or Go Home." That No. 1 will work, without a doubt.

Thats a FACT! Man, way to go Cleveland! Those bucks are in serious doo doo this year when you enter the woods.

That is a beautiful rifle!
Haha thanks man, gotta feeling its gonna be lively in the recoil department lol. Just seems like its gonna kick harder than my other 416. Definitely gonna be wearing my sissy shoulder pad for load development [emoji23]

For sure, no shame in wearing the pad, especially if you hope to make the required shot in the field. A flinch does nothing to enhance acccuracy.
Yeah my first load development with my other 416 i did 20 rounds. After that I realized I needed a pad for bench work haha.

Cleveland48":c6wory12 said:
FOTIS":c6wory12 said:
Thank you. You're gonna bust some whitetails with that 416?
I had great luck hunting antelope with my 416 Bee with 300 TSX bullets.
Thats the plan! I have two boxes of 300 gr TSX. Just waiting on my brass to come in today. How has the tsx performed for you on antelope? Our whitetail bucks usually hit about 200lbs where I hunt, so I'm pretty confident the 300 gr tsx will expand. Looking at the data im gonna shoot for 2850 fps or so. RL15 is supposed to hit 2940 fps or so with that bullet, so I'm thinking about 100 fps less than that should be good enough. Gonna do velocity ladder tm so I can check for some pressure signs, velocity nodes.

They open up HUGE! Believe me!
I shot them at 454 yards and you can eat right up to the hole.

Attachments

• whitetail425yds.jpg
    whitetail425yds.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 1,075
FOTIS":24wqrvge said:
Cleveland48":24wqrvge said:
FOTIS":24wqrvge said:
Thank you. You're gonna bust some whitetails with that 416?
I had great luck hunting antelope with my 416 Bee with 300 TSX bullets.
Thats the plan! I have two boxes of 300 gr TSX. Just waiting on my brass to come in today. How has the tsx performed for you on antelope? Our whitetail bucks usually hit about 200lbs where I hunt, so I'm pretty confident the 300 gr tsx will expand. Looking at the data im gonna shoot for 2850 fps or so. RL15 is supposed to hit 2940 fps or so with that bullet, so I'm thinking about 100 fps less than that should be good enough. Gonna do velocity ladder tm so I can check for some pressure signs, velocity nodes.

They open up HUGE! Believe me!
I shot them at 454 yards and you can eat right up to the hole.
Thanks Fotis. Thats good to know, I was worried they might be to tough.

Once you have a Ruger Number One you never are done! You will need at least one more Number One!! It might surprise you how it recoils, pleasantly!!

6mm Remington":3ippjium said:
Once you have a Ruger Number One you never are done! You will need at least one more Number One!! It might surprise you how it recoils, pleasantly!!
Im afraid of that lol, they seem to be getting pretty expensive haha.

(y)

So, I get an "enabler medal" ?

I can see the thought process now...

"I want a Number One 'cause Guy is making me all envious of his Number One rifles. He's only got a 7mm and a 375, I need a bigger one to show him up... "

:wink:

Congrats on a good looking and hopefully useful rifle.

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":psakmiby said:
(y)

So, I get an "enabler medal" ?

I can see the thought process now...

"I want a Number One 'cause Guy is making me all envious of his Number One rifles. He's only got a 7mm and a 375, I need a bigger one to show him up... "

:wink:

Congrats on a good looking and hopefully useful rifle.

Regards, Guy
Haha thanks Guy. Just finished loading some up now. Have a box of factory hornady 400 gr DGX, and a few 300 gr TSX loaded up. Will be double checking the 416 taylor imp tm also to confirm zero with 350 gr tsx, and 350 gr mag tip. I'll probably come home tomorrow looking like Joe Frazier beat the mess out of me [emoji23]

Ok first groups did pretty good, but my leupold scope ran out of adjustment. So its 3 inches high at 100 yards. So I'm using the rings that came with the gun and the back ring is taller than the front. Isn't this how the rings go for the model 77? Cause I think rings on the #1 are suppose to be back and front are the same height, is this correct? Not sure how I didnt notice at first guess I was in to big of a hurry to get it up and running, and didn't notice. Any help is much appreciated.
a652cf68400d48bcf1511b1591e9f8b9.jpg
e90dfcdc6f4c24345c83bf769506bdd3.jpg
3ae1c9d837991000c2e9ff1f0e9ba927.jpg
935b5f7714a679ba61b2ffb4545a313c.jpg

Well nevermind I just took rings off, and they are the same height, so I guess I just ran out of adjustment

Great shooting rifle! Looks like it will really do good stuff!

Not sure about the adjustment. I’d give Ruger a call and see what they say. Which scope did you put on it?

On a #1 both rings are equal height like the redhawk and mini 14. all interchangeable.

You ran out of elevation?

What scope again?

SJB358":22u522xs said:
Great shooting rifle! Looks like it will really do good stuff!

Not sure about the adjustment. I’d give Ruger a call and see what they say. Which scope did you put on it?
Leupold 3-9 vx freedom

FOTIS":2po4opog said:
On a #1 both rings are equal height like the redhawk and mini 14. all interchangeable.

You ran out of elevation?

What scope again?
Leupold 3-9 vx freedom. I ran out of elevation with it being about 3" high. Im starting to suspect the old rings that came with the rifle. Believe I'll get another set to see.

I finally just scored my third one, a .275 Rigby. It’ll arrive while I’m hunting in Montana.
Welcome to the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

salmonchaser":3jyj7m7x said:
I finally just scored my third one, a .275 Rigby. It’ll arrive while I’m hunting in Montana.
Welcome to the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang, now that’s one I’d like!

Back