Finally shot my flintlock.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Back in July I got a flintlock a buddy built for me. This afternoon we finally got together to shoot it and see what if anything needed done sight wise, and how it shot, etc.

Shooting off hand at 25 yards my buddy put 4 just under the bullseye and slightly to the left. When I shot it off hand at the same distance I was hitting lower and farther left, but still grouped well considering just starting out with it and off hand. We discussed his definition of holding at the 6:00 position verses mine, as well as what his front/rear sight picture looked like.......he told me to try putting the front sight just below the top of the rear sight and try it. I did that and it put one right in with his.

Not bad at all for just starting out, it will shoot. Didn't try anything else, he was loading it with 80 gr of 2F. It's a 54 caliber. Needs to be moved up slightly which he says he will do by bending the barrel, and the rear sight drifted slightly to the right, but it's close enough to go hunting with if I remember to keep the front sight under the top plane of the rear sight. Late season flintlock is in now.......my side of the family's Christmas get together is this weekend, maybe next week I'll get out weather permitting.

Quite a handsome piece of work. And it does appear to deliver the goods for you. It will be neat to witness vicariously taking game with the rifle.

That's a good start. If I may make a suggestion, don't bend the barrel. File the front sight down to raise the group. Put masking tape on your barrel around the sight so you don't mess up the finish on the barrel if you make a miss lick. Ask me how I know. Get your load finalized before filing to sight in. This process was shown to me by guys I shot muzzleloaders with for years and it's a proven process. Also, you can use 3F powder. Works fine in my 54 and takes less amount than 2F. Fine looking flintlock and hope you get lots of enjoyment from it. Locking forward to pictures. Dan.

What a wonderfully looking rifle and a shooter! I've never owned a flintlock but enjoy my percussion immensely. the thing about muzzleloaders is to allow enough time after shooting to properly clean and it doesn't matter if you shot once or 10 times.

Shadetree work with some different powder charges a patch thickness. Get some different thickness cloth and lube it.

That's a good start. If I may make a suggestion, don't bend the barrel. File the front sight down to raise the group. Put masking tape on your barrel around the sight so you don't mess up the finish on the barrel if you make a miss lick. Ask me how I know. Get your load finalized before filing to sight in. This process was shown to me by guys I shot muzzleloaders with for years and it's a proven process. Also, you can use 3F powder. Works fine in my 54 and takes less amount than 2F. Fine looking flintlock and hope you get lots of enjoyment from it. Locking forward to pictures. Dan.

If I was working at it myself that's how I'd do it because I wouldn't begin to know how to do it proper otherwise. However this guy has been building flintlocks, shooting, competition shooting, you name it, for 25-30 yrs now. He has rifles but his passion is flintlocks. Got them sitting around everywhere and knows every trick in the book so the easiest thing for me at this point is just to let him do what he knows to do.

I'll try to learn all the intricacies as time goes on and do some experimenting. It's fun to shoot, I know that. :D

Shadetree work with some different powder charges a patch thickness. Get some different thickness cloth and lube it.

Later on next spring we will try some different powder charges for sure and see if something tightens up even more. For right now just to go hunting I'll just stick with the 80 gr charge of 2F

He's using a .521 ball in it with pillow ticking. He washes the pillow ticking in a clothes washer before cutting it in strips. Says it starts out at .018 thickness and ends up at .022 after washing. I forget what for lube he uses on the patches. It's in a small spray bottle.

He gathered up some of the patches strewn on the ground after shooting and inspected them..........said they were frayed some on the edges but not tore up which told him the bore didn't have anything nasty in it, with just some light burrs that will shoot out.

He gave it a good to go on how it was working. We shot 10 shots total and the last ball pushed down the bore just as smooth and easy as the first. He said that tells him everything is getting a good seal all the way down on firing and there's no powder being galled to the side of the bore.

What a wonderfully looking rifle and a shooter! I've never owned a flintlock but enjoy my percussion immensely. the thing about muzzleloaders is to allow enough time after shooting to properly clean and it doesn't matter if you shot once or 10 times.

Thanks. It came from a local piece of wood and is a pretty piece of curled maple in my opinion. Turned out nice. Wasn't one of my cheapest guns I have, but I'm glad I got him to make me one.

That is a beautiful piece of curly maple. Looks right nice made into a longrifle stock.
I know thisis an older posting but I'm curious as to how the sighting in went? I know they do things different in different parts of the country but honestly I've never heard of bending the barrel to raise the sight on a rifle. The time honored method that was taught to me and others I know is to file the top of the rear sight. This allows a finer adjustment of the sight.
I love shooting fine flintlock rifles, or just holding them. My .54 is my main weapon come deer season.

That is a beautiful piece of curly maple. Looks right nice made into a longrifle stock.
I know thisis an older posting but I'm curious as to how the sighting in went? I know they do things different in different parts of the country but honestly I've never heard of bending the barrel to raise the sight on a rifle. The time honored method that was taught to me and others I know is to file the top of the rear sight. This allows a finer adjustment of the sight.
I love shooting fine flintlock rifles, or just holding them. My .54 is my main weapon come deer season.

It does seem odd but he's done it 100 times and knows what he's doing so I let him do what he knows to do. He took the barrel out , looked through it and said, yep I see why it's shooting low. Done some slight bending and kept looking through it and going back to bending until he was satisfied.

The results were this the next time I shot it. This was 3 or 4 shots in a row, can't remember. Same distance of 25 yds but just shot it off the hood of my truck here at home. Was hitting high after the barrel correction, but I was burying my sight on the dot. A 6:00 hold with the target sitting on top of the sight will be about right. Still shooting slightly left, but that can be corrected by drifting the rear sight over.

Nice shooting. That will work well for filling your freezer.

JD338

Hope you get to peg one with this flintlock this fall. Dan.
(y) We have a early muzzleloader season that is mixed in with archery. Doe only. Most everybody will be using inline, I'll be using this.

I'm visualizing a nice fat doe in the future, or a yearling doesn't matter. It would make me happy for sure. Neat rifle to me with some sentimental local attachments. Be good to put the first notch in its career of what it is meant to do. And put the final cap on all that hard work.

That is one cool rifle ST. What a rifle!

I’d love to have something like that one of these days.

I would probably leave it just like it is. I would shoot it at different distances to see where it hits dead on. My .54's have always been sighted in an inch or so high to better deal with a long shot.
This is how my .54 is sighted for deer season.
CCI06272017-0002-657x1024.jpg

Last edited:
I would probably leave it just like it is. I would shoot it at different distances to see where it hits dead on. My .54's have always been sighted in an inch or so high to better deal with a long shot.
This is how my .54 is sighted for deer season.
CCI06272017-0002-657x1024.jpg
I would agree👍

Back