Finished Product XL7 & Leupold FX-3 6x42mm Wide duplex

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
Well, finally finished setting up my 30-06 Marlin XL7 and Leupold FX-3 6x42mm Wide Duplex for hunting this year.

I am through with three loads for my 30-06 with two being specific and one being an over all round. Looks good, accuracy is good, handles good and it is ready for the field. It has been a 9 month trip getting this rifle setup and me satisfied with the results. It has been fun! :mrgreen:

file_zpsc2737e15.jpg

file_zps9ae568eb.jpg

file_zps58bc9e23.jpg

file_zpsaa3c91e5.jpg

file_zpsee82ed4b.jpg

file_zps218bd20f.jpg

file_zpsb96c34d6.jpg

file_zps56d472b3.jpg

file_zpsc1c76003.jpg

file_zpsaa6e6959.jpg

file_zps6589b1d5.jpg

file_zpsf12a033c.jpg

file_zps4a07fca5.jpg

Is that a Boyd's Prairie Hunter?

That looks like a really nice rifle!

efw":x2g4x2ew said:
Is that a Boyd's Prairie Hunter?

That looks like a really nice rifle!

Yes, that is a Boyd's Prairie Hunter :mrgreen:

Not having used a Marlin bolt action, I cannot comment beyond "Wow, it looks great!"

The scope though... People who have not used the wonderful 6x Leupold simply do not understand how bright, clear and easy to use it is. Exceptional scope!

Nice setup you have there. Very nice. Pretty fancy scope rings by the way... :grin:

Guy

Guy Miner":3o8h2cfg said:
Not having used a Marlin bolt action, I cannot comment beyond "Wow, it looks great!"

The scope though... People who have not used the wonderful 6x Leupold simply do not understand how bright, clear and easy to use it is. Exceptional scope!

Nice setup you have there. Very nice. Pretty fancy scope rings by the way... :grin:

Guy

Yes Guy, awesome scope and I thought I would give this a classy touch and I thought these rings would do just that and match the bluing on the rifle. Man, can't tell you how much I am ready to go to the field with this 30-06 :mrgreen:

Nice set up Mike, very versatile combo you have there.
Guy, you are right about the 6x Leupolds, I really like my 6x36 a lot and would love to add the 6x42 one day to the herd.

gerry":5ledpm6t said:
Nice set up Mike, very versatile combo you have there.
Guy, you are right about the 6x Leupolds, I really like my 6x36 a lot and would love to add the 6x42 one day to the herd.

I have the FX-2 6x36mm LR on my Nosler TGR 7mm08 and love it.

Mike, since you have both the 6x36 and 6x42 what differences do you see between them? I have read the 6x36 comes awfully close to the performance of the 6x42.

gerry":2fzjlhsu said:
Mike, since you have both the 6x36 and 6x42 what differences do you see between them? I have read the 6x36 comes awfully close to the performance of the 6x42.

The FX-2 comes awfully close to the older 6x42mm but is not as good in twilight like the New FX-3 6x42mm and that has to do with a bunch of reasons with the lens indexing and coatings used on the the FX-2 and the FX-3. I will be doing an article on optics the fist of September and I will make sure I post it in the Off Topic section of the forum. That said, the FX-2 is an outstanding scope and very well done and easy on the eyes. I like it on my 7mm08 TGR because it is a little lighter and my TGR is all about being light weight.

A great scope match with that cartridge. I have one on my .270, and the .30-06 will be getting one as well.

Hegland":4yrm3w5z said:
A great scope match with that cartridge. I have one on my .270, and the .30-06 will be getting one as well.

Yes, I absolutely agree Hegland, indeed it is a great match for the 270 and 30-06, AMEN!

Agree, I've got both the 6x36 and the 6x42. Both are good scopes, but the 42mm scope is considerably better, particularly in low light - such as towards the end of legal shooting light. My son and I had rifles with both those scopes out one evening while elk hunting. When his 36mm version was DONE, the 42mm version was still quite useful, and it was still legal shooting time - though light was fading rapidly by that point.

Admittedly though, my 6x36mm Leupold is a fair bit older than my 6x42mm Leupold.

FWIW, Guy

Well I decided to check out the rifles consistency so went to the range this morning and verified two of my existing loads and one new one and I have achieved consistency with a variety of powders, bullets and brass. I did get it right on this rifle. :mrgreen:

GS - HV and the deviation was 7, 3086fps
TgtGfx3_zps6d6a1562.jpg

180gr Combined Technology BT (increased charge now moving 2772fps)
TgtGfx1_zps89d0a8f6.jpg

165gr HPBT 2874fps
TgtGfx2_zpsb8512852.jpg

Back