Finished the season off

TScottW99

Handloader
Sep 14, 2007
Took Friday off to try to get another deer for the freezer. Friday was the next to the last day of muzzleloader season here in Virginia.

Friday morning found me in 12* weather, no wind and no deer. Did set up about 100 yards from a family group of turkeys and really enjoyed the show as they flew off the roost.

Went home for lunch and my good friend called me up inviting me to his family property. A great place to hunt and one I have seen deer at every time I have hunted but once.

Set up between a grown up clear cut and a rye field. With ten minutes of light left and no deer I heard three deer come off the ridge in front of me and into the rye field. I made a quick decision and climbed down and started a stalk to the rye field.

I got to within 120 yards of the first deer, a 2 1/2 year old 6 point. I judged him through the scope and decided to pass. I then checked the other two deer and found two mature does. I placed the crosshairs on the biggest doe, which was broadside at 140 yards and fired. The sound of the bullet smacking the doe was a good sign.

I should have held a bit higher, the 300 grain T/C Shockwave hit the bottom of the heart. The doe was recovered quite easily and gave my wife and I enough meat for the winter :grin:

TScottW99

Good shooting!
Congratulations on your hunt.

JD338

Thanks guys.

I could have harvested six, hunting east and west of the Blueridge Mountains. Plus I could have bought extra doe tags over the counter.

I didn't have alot of oppurtunties this year on does. Passed on a good many bucks and messed up on one nice 10 pointer and never fired a shot. Very good season still and got my two mature deer that we need to get us through the year :wink:

Here in Va they give you plenty of tags to fill the freezer. I got two bucks and two does this season.

Woodycreek

Good job buddy. You got yourself a couple of dandys!
Post those pics for everyone to see.

JD338

Back