Fire em off, or . . .

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
When you are done hunting for the day do you fire off your ML or just remove the primer and use the same load the next day?

Long

Depends on if there is a trophy stump in range... no, but seriously if the temp is going to be the same and I know that i will be hunting again soon, I just take out my 209 and use the same load. If its going to be awhile or a temperature change is called for, I shoot it. Don't know if this is right or wrong, but its fun to bag a trophy stump now and then!

Depends on if there is a trophy stump in range... no, but seriously if the temp is going to be the same and I know that i will be hunting again soon, I just take out my 209 and use the same load. If its going to be awhile or a temperature change is called for, I shoot it. Don't know if this is right or wrong, but its fun to bag a trophy stump now and then!

Long,

I just leave mine loaded for the season, unless it gets real wet.
I usually fire, clean, and reload for ML season.

JD338

I am wondering because at the range I get excellent accuracy out of my Encore with powerbelts and American Pioneer but when hunting and leaving the loads over nite the accuracy is not good. I am wondering about the componants I was using etc... So I will try 777 this year and a sabot.

Long

Long,

I have had great success with 100 grs of 777 and the Nosler
.451 cal 260 gr PT in my M700ML.
This year I have a T/C Omega and will be using 120 gr 777 and the same PT bullet. It shoots good out to 200 yds!

I might go back up to da UP and hunt a migration trail if there is enough snow and I still have a tag. :grin:

JD338

BP is hydroscopic meaning it collects water vapor at about 1 1/2% depending on the conditions. As for the 'subs' akin to American Pioneer or Triple 7...I'm not quite certain as to whether or not these powders have the same characteristics. But...with that being said...I have noticed that after I have left the load in the chamber overnight....that when I have fired the rifle the next day after a days hunting that I get what I refer to as a 'Spit-Bang' or a small initial felt recoil and then a larger recoil at full ignition! I can't help but think that the load has become possibly damp and that ain't good!

Just my thoughts!

FWIW!! :lol: :roll: :shock:

Well I was very happy with using 777 and sabots, but never had an opportunity to pull the trigger on a legal buck. Maybe next year.

Long

Back