First #1 question.....problem?

JDMAG

Handloader
Aug 15, 2006
I don't have a scope on it yet but I made myself a snap cap today to get a feel for the trigger on my new #1. And I noticed that when I fire and try to eject the empty, (in this case the snap cap) the empty hits the front of the tang safety, and bounces back toward the breech. Is this normal, and if so can anything be done to alleviate it? If the safety is on, the empty, or unfired cartridge flies all the way out and away from the gun.
JD

Thanks POP. I actually thought it was already setup to eject, and was just hitting the safey when it tried.

Anytime...I know the #1's like the back of my hand.

so if I tighten the ejection screw, it will possibly exect with enough force to clear the safety selector lever?

I have two Ruger #1's (in .243 Win and .30-06 Sprg) and they both do the same thing you are describing.

You may be able to adjust the ejection force enough for it to bounce clear. When I tried adjusting as a way to make it eject cleanly, I got around 50% of the time it bounced back into the chamber (part way...), or if I really reduced the force, I could have an extractor.

I found this annoying, as I wanted clean ejection. So, I ground off and reblued part of the front lip of the safety. I think around 0.080" on each rifle. Yes, you can see the slot in the tang now, but that safety lip wasn't tight enough to keep dirt out anyway.

If you are bold enough (or dumb enough, I'm not sure which term better applies), you can do the same. Once that durn lip is relieved, the #1 will toss empty brass over your shoulder, if you cant the rifle just a little.

(If you don't cant it slightly, it goes back into your face... :) )

thanks.I was thinking the same thing about working down the tang.I've got about 1/16th clearance when the safty is in the fire position, and it wont keep the dirt out. Maybe having a smith remove it and heat and bend it to the contour of the gun. :?

My #1RSI 30,06 Does the same thing.
If you turn the rifle as you work the lever , the case falls clear prety well.
I loaded a blank cartridge for both my #1s and practice quick reloads.
It is a silly darned design flaw that that little saftey swutch sticks up like that. I love #1s but you would think ater about 30 some years of making that safty switch they could have reshaoed the top end. a little.
...tj3006

Back