First Impressions, Leupold AR 1.5-4x

I like your set-up. I have a Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x on my Remington 7615 I carry around in one of my trucks that is pretty similar. I can vouch for it on coyotes too. I put the Timney trigger kit in for the 870 shotguns and it is a slick little shooter. There is no good way to put an overhead gun rack in the new Ford for one of my longer barreled bolt guns. The flat sided 7615 slides between the drivers seat and center console, fits in there snug and out of the way until needed. I like that your scope has the circle reticle and BDC turret, mine does not. I try to limit my shots on coyotes to 250yds with the heavy reticle in the scope and 16" barrel, pass on longer ones until I have the 6mm and a higher percentage chance of hitting them. The lighted dot in the center sure is handy in low light. The carbine has proven real quick to get into action and deadly on running coyotes within 200yds around the ranch. If a coyotes stops zig-zagging long enough for me to track him and maintain a lead I usually get him.

I might have to look into one of those for the AR I use calling at shorter range. Mine is a 16" carbine like yours with the collapsible stock and a Burris version of the same mount. I have a 2-7x Vortex Diamondback in the mount and a Vortex Sparc red-dot mounted to the rail on the scope ring for low light or real close/fast shots. Sounds like your scope might work for both and make for a sleeker set-up. That reticle looks enough finer than the one in my VX-R it shouldn't cover as much of the target if I do need try a longer shot.

FWIW both rifles have performed well on coyotes with 55gr V-max loads for me.

CMBT shooter - it's roughly the same height as the irons. I wish I had a flip-up front sight. This scope focuses past the front sight, but it's still there, particularly at the lowest power setting. Maybe next barrel will have a flip-up sight.

McSeal - you know how much I wished I'd had this little AR-15 rig slung over my shoulder when I saw the coyote while I was bird hunting yesterday... Even when I first saw him at 150 - 200 yds, he would have been toast. When I last saw him at about 50 yards, well that would have been a sure thing with the AR-15, yet it was pushing the outer limits of the shotgun loaded with #6 steel shot.

Glad to hear that your setup is working well. A compact AR-15 ,makes a great truck gun.

Guy

Thanks for posting this review Guy. I just picked up a Rock River "operator" model and wasn't sure what to put on it for optics. I have another RR that has a Leupold Delta reflex red dot, but thought I wanted something with a little magnification on this one. I swore I would never have any black rifles when I got out of the Corps, but have found they are fun to shoot and my son loves the first RR bought a few years ago. I gave it to him for his birthday, but it sits in my safe since he lives in Chicago now.
I never plan on using it for hunting, but it will be fun to see if it can shoot decent groups at the 100 yard plus ranges with a little magnification. The operator model has flip-up front sights, so I will be looking to find attachments that are QR as well.

You could set it up to run them both at the same time with 45 degree off set mounts !
If you have enough of a rail setup ! put a magnified optic on top and open or red dot on the sides at a 45 degree angle as lots of people use them and the mounts are not too expensive if you have rails to mount to !

Back