First Impressions, Leupold AR 1.5-4x

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006

This rifle is my personal AR-15, which I use on duty as a patrol officer. I really don't use it for much else, it's pretty much a work gun, like my .45 Kimber. Have been wanting to put some sort of optic on it for a while. Messed around with a few, and ended up with this 1.5-4x Leupold.

http://www.leupold.com/tactical/scopes/ ... -5-4x20mm/

It's been on the rifle for a while now and I have to say that I'm pleased. Have not taken it to over 100 yards yet, which is where it's zeroed with my duty ammo, 55 grain bonded soft-point Federal Law Enforcement ammo. BTW - that's EXPENSIVE ammo!

The rifle remains light and handy, which is extremely important to me for this type of work. A heavy barreled sniperish rig, I do not need or want and it would be a detriment.

The scope is lightweight. Has a very generous "eye box" so getting behind the scope happens instantly. At lowest magnification I keep both eyes open and have no problem shooting it in CQB training, even at very short ranges. Dialed up to 4x, it's perfect for "perimeter" duty. I shot a perfect score with it on our patrol rifle course, first time using it. That was cool.

There's a battery powered green dot in the center of the crosshairs. Adjustable in brightness from zero to pretty doggone intense. Intense enough to easily see it in full daylight, sunny conditions. It helps with fast paced shooting at modest ranges and reminds me of the EOTech I used during my years on SWAT. Good little scope for my purposes.

Those are my initial impressions. Couple of issues I need to address:

1. The mount has got to go. It's a fine mount, by Nikon, but it has to be removed, with a wrench, before I can transition to my back up iron sights. Hmmm. Not good. So I'll be hunting up a quick-release mount of some sort - this is what I had on hand, and it's working, but I NEED to be able to transition very quickly to the iron sights if something bad happens to the scope.

2. I've GOT to see how the BDC turret does with the 55 gr ammo out at 150, 200, 250 and 300 yards! Those aren't likely distances for a patrol officer to need to shoot often, but I could see it happening.

For a fairly inexpensive, lightweight scope, this thing has a lot going for it, and I could see it being very useful on a coyote rifle as well. Maybe, just maybe, I'll give that a try this winter when it's coyote time again...

First impressions are very favorable re this little scope.

Guy

Sounds good, Guy. I wasn't even aware of this scope. It looks as if Leupold is meeting a market with it, however.

Great review Guy. That sorta scope could be useful on a bunch of rifles. I like the power range and the ability to dial. What reticle is it?

Nice set-up Guy, I love that reticle, looks like you could get on target quickly even in lower light situations.

Agree. It's a fine optic for my purposes.

Almost as good as the EOTech for Close Quarter Battle use/training, and vastly better than the EOTech for perimeter duty and shooting beyond CQB distances. Still light and handy and hopefully rugged enough for duty use.

As said, I haven't yet tried it beyond 100 yards, but it does well for me there, and I suspect that it will perform fine at longer ranges. The elevation knob is calibrated for the 55 grain ammo we use as duty ammo, and it will be fun to see how closely it matches that ammo in reality. I'll test it out at the 200 & 300 yard lines soon, and post the results.

Guy

Guy,

To stump for my favorite mount maker, take a look at Talley.

You can give them a call and talk to them down in North Carolina. They are great folks and I've always enjoyed talking with them.

Talley does make great stuff. You're right.

Update on the scope. Two officers who are both excellent rifle & pistol shooters used my rifle & scope on the patrol rifle qualification course yesterday. I shot a perfect score, the other two came close, but not quite. Everybody liked the little Leupold. One had a little trouble with it down at the 3 - 7 yard CQB portion of the course. He's not used to using optics of any kind on his rifles.

I think this little scope is a real winner on a Patrol Rifle, and likely on a coyote rifle as well.

Guy

I have the 3-9 on my LMT with the red fire dot and really like the Leupold mount but kinda wished I would have went with the WARNE tactical mount that has the mount for another optic jut to the right of the scope!
http://warnescopemounts.com/product/r-a-m-p-mount/

This is just set up for 77 gr 556 rounds with a 1-7 twist barrel and looking to wack some yotes with it is about all I have planed for it! Might put some light on it soon but my 9MM has a light and laser so it sets on the night stand :)

Both of those set up look to be very functional. I have not got the bug yet for these type of set ups but I know they are fun to shoot.

Blessings,
Dan

Dan, the AR-15 family of rifles are fun to shoot, but I don't know that I'd own one if it wasn't for the job. Probably just my perception. Have been paid to carry one for a long time now.

Much prefer blued steel & walnut, bolt action, lever action or single shot. But yes, the AR-15 is fun to shoot.

Guy

Guy Miner":p4e1s3gh said:
Dan, the AR-15 family of rifles are fun to shoot, but I don't know that I'd own one if it wasn't for the job. Probably just my perception. Have been paid to carry one for a long time now.

Much prefer blued steel & walnut, bolt action, lever action or single shot. But yes, the AR-15 is fun to shoot.

Guy

Truer words have never been spoken! HA! Same exact feeling here. Just when I think I could spend money on one, a cool bolt gun or lever gun passes my line of sight.

Perfect score on our "patrol rifle" course, which is all 50 yards and in.

5 shots prone @ 50
5 shots kneeling @ 25
5 shots kneeling @ 25 left handed (left eye, left hand on the trigger, left everything)
5 shots fired while walking from 15 - 7 yards (no stopping to shoot, just keep walking & shooting)
4 shots on pivot drills @ 7 yards
6 shots while doing step-in drills @ 7 yards

So, it's not a long-range precision course, it's the kind of shooting an officer might have to do in an urban environment. Not the most beautiful shooting ever, but under the time limits, and it's a perfect score. I also shoot the same score with the iron sights, but the scope is much easier on these aging eyes!

Fun to shoot yes, but I know Scotty shares my sentiment about the AR-15 family, it's just a tool for me.

Guy

And you're using that particular tool very well. Fine display of control.

I think that optic and your skills spell issues for the bad guy's for sure, do you ever run a red dot on the side ?

Nice looking rig Guy, after having to carry one for 6 years I don't have much use for one either. But I don't knock the Guys that do.

HOGWILD338-378":2yxi9yog said:
I think that optic and your skills spell issues for the bad guy's for sure, do you ever run a red dot on the side ?

Thanks for the compliment. I hope I never have to shoot a bad guy. Buddy of mine did that last week. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. As any street cop with a little time on can tell, we all have close encounters of a violent nature. I've come close over the 20 years, but have always managed to find some way other than pulling the trigger on a bad guy. Thankfully. That's something I just don't ever want to do.

This scope goes down to 1.5x, and has a bright green glowing dot in the center of the reticle, if I want it to. So, I see no need for a red-dot sight in addition to the little scope. It's sighted in at 100 yards, but quite useful even at 7 yards.

I have to admit to being a happy camper with the little Leupold.

Might have to see about using this rig on a few coyotes after all the big game seasons are over with in December.

Regards, Guy

Back